What's going on at Nelson County?

theguru

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to start naming schools, but I have heard of a few with alarming low numbers this time of year. I love KY HS football but it is getting tougher and tougher to get kids out. They have a bunch of choices and every one of them is easier than football, especially compared to the old days.

In the last 24 hours I have talked to two very successful coaches of highly successful programs that were struggling to get all of their kids to workouts/practices.

And, in all fairness to the kids, I do think we start too early. I would be for pushing back the start of the season.

I am not going to start naming schools, but I have heard of a few with alarming low numbers this time of year. I love KY HS football but it is getting tougher and tougher to get kids out. They have a bunch of choices and every one of them is easier than football, especially compared to the old days.

In the last 24 hours I have talked to two very successful coaches of highly successful programs that were struggling to get all of their kids to workouts/practices.

And, in all fairness to the kids, I do think we start too early. I would be for pushing back the start of the season.

And lacrosse is only getting bigger. It's REALLY going to hurt football in a few years I think.

And lacrosse is only getting bigger. It's REALLY going to hurt football in a few years I think.

If they keep it in the spring like it is now as a club sport (I think is what it is?); I don't think it will (or so I hope).

I know in the mid Atlantic states it's in the spring & is full of football kids from the handful of of places I know of.

This is 100% correct. We are too early. Hearing of several schools with 40ish out. Should start this coming Monday at the earliest if not the following. 5 days of helmets. 5 days of shells. 2 weeks of full pads. 1 scrimmage on what is now weekend zero. 1st games on the weekend before Labor Day. Take the next 11 weeks to play 10 games end the 1st week in November. It's not rocket science.

Really? Lacrosse and football tend to go hand-in-hand in other states.

Lacrosse and football were fall and spring where I grew up. Our high school lacrosse coach - who is in the Lacrosse HOF - took linebackers and DBs and turned them into good lacrosse players.

If they keep it in the spring like it is now as a club sport (I think is what it is?); I don't think it will (or so I hope).

I know in the mid Atlantic states it's in the spring & is full of football kids from the handful of of places I know of.

I thought it was in the fall here? If not then never mind, my bad, shows how much attention I'm paying.:facepalm:

Lacrosse is a spring sport. Going to hurt baseball more than football. Lot's of football players play Lacrosse in other states.

How successful are these coaches if players aren't showing up?

I doubt Mayfield, Bowling Green, or Trinity are suffering these losses.