Has Politics Become the new Sports?

Republican v. Democrat is now about as intellectually stimulating as tOSU v. Mich, UK v. UofL and Anyone v. Notre Dame. The facts are largely irrelevant. Neither side listens to the other. Both sides are intent on tearing the other down. Wins and Losses are the only measure of success - not how the game is played or the best interests of the larger game / country. Most "fans" would rather see their candidates win and the other side lose than anything else. GOP obstructionism did it to Obama for 8 yrs. Dems did it to Bush for the last 2 yrs. of his Presidency and would be doing it to Trump right now if he wasn't already so busy shooting himself in the foot. (It's hard to argue the Dems are obstructing anything when GOP holds WH, House, Senate, majority of Governors & majority of state legislatures. If the GOP isn't getting things done, and they aren't, that's on them.)

Morning Joe, Fox & Friends, Chris Cuomo on CNN are all basically covering the previous day in politics in the same way that SportsCenter covers highlights from yesterday's games.

Sad part of it is, sports is a pastime. Running a country is important.

I've made a number of similar posts on here before.

At their crudest sports and politics are just different types of tribalism. You support your side and detest the others.

But what's worse, like sports, politics has increasingly become a form of entertainment. Watching CNN is not a lot different than watching the WWE. We get pleasure out of the conflict and more so if our side "wins" in the conflict, even if it's going to start all over the next day.

Plus, with social media, we get to participate too.

Politics has grown into something far worse than sports.

In my many years on this site I don't remember a time when an entire sports forum had to be shut down because "adults" couldn't control their emotions.

Politics has grown into something far worse than sports.

In my many years on this site I don't remember a time when an entire sports forum had to be shut down because "adults" couldn't control their emotions.

In many facets, it boils down to a spiritual conflict and deep disagreement on the role of government. Those who don't believe in God see government as having a responsibility to provide for their needs, legislate fairness and define morality. Those who recognize a higher power look to that power to provide for their needs.

In many facets, it boils down to a spiritual conflict and deep disagreement on the role of government. Those who don't believe in God see government as having a responsibility to provide for their needs, legislate fairness and define morality. Those who recognize a higher power look to that power to provide for their needs.

Brushes don't get much wider than that.

That's pretty simplistic and not very true theological to Scriptures.

There are plenty of OT texts that remind the Government to be just, fair, and equitable.

The NT church reveals a faith community that is willing to bring all their resources together in order to care for the faith members who are unable to care for themselves. (i.e. widows, etc)

You just painted a rather wide swipe with a brush about those who believe in God and those who do not.

What the hell??

WAIT! I get it! THIS is the logic Gov Bevin was employing when he exhorted the people of the West End of Louisville to pray the gang violence away!