Rock Hunting Thing

hoops5

So apparently there is this new thing where people paint rocks and hide them around town for other people to find. There is a Facebook group called "NKY Rock Hunting".

Do you know anything about this? Are you participating? What's it all about?

So apparently there is this new thing where people paint rocks and hide them around town for other people to find. There is a Facebook group called "NKY Rock Hunting".

Do you know anything about this? Are you participating? What's it all about?

My brother and his wife were talking about it a little while we were on vacation. Their four boys apparently all love it.

As I understand it, it's *sort of* like geocaching, except you don't spend as much time actually concealing your rock as you would a geocache. The idea is that you paint or decorate a rock that's sized something close to what would fit in the palm of your hand, and then you hide it in plain sight somewhere that it's likely-ish to be found. There aren't maps or an app like there is with geocaching...it's just about keeping an eye out while you're out and about.

The Facebook groups are apparently intended to share photos of the rocks you've found and re-hidden, just for the fun of letting the original hider see what has happened with their rock. You can use area specific hashtags for posting pictures on Twitter and Instagram as well. There are three of four Facebook groups I know of for sharing photos:

Northern Kentucky Rocks

NKY Hidden Rocks

#LouisvilleRocks

#502Rocks

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

I don't know for sure, but best I can tell this thing started in Nelson County, specifically around Bardstown. You see parents and their kids taking strolls around downtown Bardstown with their buckets collecting the rocks.

I was told by someone who went to Disney World recently that they found one down there and on the back it said it came from Nelson Co.

If you guys run outta rocks , I live in Nicholas County , I have plenty of rocks up here you can have !!!! Cool idea if you are into that kinda thing .... Rock On !!!!

I hid a really good one a few months ago in the spot where I'm intending to put a new gate-post for the fence at my family's farm property. Hid it about 8 inches down in the ground, and decorated it by etching a couple of cool spiral patterns into the surface of it with the tip of an auger bit.

I hid a really good one a few months ago in the spot where I'm intending to put a new gate-post for the fence at my family's farm property. Hid it about 8 inches down in the ground, and decorated it by etching a couple of cool spiral patterns into the surface of it with the tip of an auger bit.

In other words, you don't want it to be found any time soon.

Not that you'll find me hunting for rocks. But I see greater merit in searching for rocks than staring into a smart phone looking for imaginary creatures!

Pet rocks were big back in the 70s. Sounds like this is Pet Rock 2.0 "Share it with Others!"