Who Will Be Northern KY Big Fish In Small Ponds?

Who are the players in the northern Kentucky area this fall who may not be heard about much because of the teams they play on?

There weren't many headlines in the Enquirer last season about Justin Durham at Lloyd, Justin Blackburn at Ludlow, or Matt Blank at Brossart - but it doesn't mean they weren't putting up impressive numbers all season long.

Who are some of the more impressive northern Kentucky kids that will be playing on teams that unfortunately won't make a lot of noise on a statewide level this year?

Blackburn had a phenomenal year at Ludlow as a sophomore. He did get a little attention in the news and here on BGP last year...but appropo to the thread title, it probably wasn't as much as he could have if he was playing for the likes of Ryle or Beechwood. I also think there was a perceived "drop" in his numbers last year due to the fact that every team Ludlow played was keying their offense and defense on Blackburn. Tough to put up huge numbers when you've got every team on your schedule doing that.

I'm excited to see what Justin gets going for himself this season. He also has offers already from Union College and Cincinnati Christian, for what that's worth.

Bryce Donnelly ,WR, @ Bishop Brossart is an all-around athlete that could have a huge year for the Mustangs. Speed, hands, and smarts make for a solid combo for this returning veteran receiver. Chase Kellar to Donnelly was pretty impressive last year. Memory tells me Kellar graduated, if that is correct the new QB may be challenged to wing it to this very talented wide-out.

Just because of lack of touches you won't here a ton about him but watch out for Nick Myers at TE this year for Cooper. He is an exceptional athlete and could be huge for the Jags in the middle of the field. Also, we should here a ton from him defensively as he has transitioned to DE.

Mason Smith at Walton-Verona would be my pick

Is Mason playing football this year?? I know he has committed to Army for wrestling, and has put a ton of time on the mat over the summer. I hope he is playing, but would completely get it if he isn't.

I didn't know Nick Meyer would be at TE this year. That is a good position for him, as well as DE. I think he has the drive to be good. I know he has the athleticism. I look forward to seeing him play this year.

I wish Nick well in his final season at Cooper.

Is Mason playing football this year?? I know he has committed to Army for wrestling, and has put a ton of time on the mat over the summer. I hope he is playing, but would completely get it if he isn't.

Not sure on that... a W-V Coach must be expecting him to play because he had him included as a returning starter in the numbers they submitted to Calpreps.

If Smith plays W-V has a legit shot at the Regional Finals.

Great thread Slobber Knocker!

I'll contribute two names to the mix from Dixie Heights: seniors Kairus Wahington OL/DL, and Brandon Barker RB. Kairus is a state championship heavyweight wrestler runner up. So well known on the wresting front, not so much on the football side. The young man has very good feet, hands, and size.

Brandon is a patient, slasher with solid speed. He'll be running behind a good o-line with size and experience. Dixies ground and pound approach may do very well this season. Time will tell! Both Brandon and Kairus will be key players in spearheading Dixie Heights' efforts to improve upon last seasons 6-6 season. Go Dixie Heights Colonels...:thumb: