Marlins Suing Fans

Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey H. Loria is reportedly suing a fan of the team in an attempt to seize his property, according to Tim Elfrink of the Miami New Times:

"According to court records ... Loria's team is suing a fan named Kenneth Sack in Broward County to take a $725,000 building he owns in Oakland Park—all as part of the same ugly dispute that has led the team to sue at least nine season ticket holders and luxury-suite owners since 2003."

The dispute began in 2012, when the Marlins asked season ticket holders to sign contracts stating they would buy tickets for three or four seasons in exchange for perks like "pre- and postgame buffets and private parking," per Elfrink.

Anyone else see this? Loria's greed is insane. He's bad for baseball.

Marlins Suing Fan to Seize Building as Part of Dispute over Season Tickets | Bleacher Report

Sounds like a simple case of contract law, whats the big issue?

Did you read the article?

But Elfrink noted season ticket holders said the Marlins began reneging on those perks as attendance dropped at the new Marlins Park: "The parking spaces and private entrances disappeared, and the buffet was stocked with crappy panini night after night, they say."

Seems like the Marlins weren't holding up their end and then filed lawsuits when the shoe was on the other foot.

Did you read the article?

But Elfrink noted season ticket holders said the Marlins began reneging on those perks as attendance dropped at the new Marlins Park: "The parking spaces and private entrances disappeared, and the buffet was stocked with crappy panini night after night, they say."

Seems like the Marlins weren't holding up their end and then filed lawsuits when the shoe was on the other foot.

Like I said, simple contract law issue.

You made it sound like them suing fans was no big deal, as if the fans were in the wrong.

Sounds to me (based on the article) that both parties are at fault here and not keeping the terms of the contract. Like I said SIMPLE contract law.

Sounds to me (based on the article) that both parties are at fault here and not keeping the terms of the contract. Like I said SIMPLE contract law.

You said "what's the big deal" about the Marlins suing. The big deal is they didn't hold up to their end, thus it's a big deal that they are suing when they are in breach first. It can't be "simple contract law" and "no big deal". It's one or the other. Marlins in breach first and suing=big deal when they're in the wrong. I think you didn't read the entire article initially.

You said "what's the big deal" about the Marlins suing. The big deal is they didn't hold up to their end, thus it's a big deal that they are suing when they are in breach first. It can't be "simple contract law" and "no big deal". It's one or the other. Marlins in breach first and suing=big deal when they're in the wrong. I think you didn't read the entire article initially.

Isnt that for the courts to decide? If the fans didnt pay their fee as per the contract, they are in breach as well. Like I said, simple contract law issue. Happens every day in the world. Courts will hash it out and come to a conclusion.

Not a big deal.