Garmin GPS

All In

Recently purchased the Garmin Drive GPS(the first GPS that have had in years) and on a recent trip it went black and wouldn't come back on. Come to find out it wasn't properly charged, but just assumed it charged and would stay on while plugged in while you drive on your trip. Now to be honest I don't trust it at all for a long trip

Recently purchased the Garmin Drive GPS(the first GPS that have had in years) and on a recent trip it went black and wouldn't come back on. Come to find out it wasn't properly charged, but just assumed it charged and would stay on while plugged in while you drive on your trip. Now to be honest I don't trust it at all for a long trip

I still have a gps unit (Tom Tom) that I use on an old church van. I know sometimes if I don't have the plug turned just right in the outlet, it won't charge and will run off battery until it drains. You might want to check that.

I also prefer to use an independent gps unit over my phone. My car has an integrated information unit so I don't need either when dring it, but when using my much older truck or a state vehicle, chrch van, etc., I like using the gps units.

I just always use my phone maps or Waze and they have never failed.

I love Waze. I use it even when I know where I am going, as it alerts to travel delays, police and accidents. I'll never go back to a separate GPS device for travel.

I can't imagine ever buying a GPS unit. GPS and apps on our phones are too good to waste the money.

This.

Google Maps updates automatically too. With most GPS units, you have to download ($$) the map updates.

Do all of you have unlimited data? How much data would Waze use on a 4 or 5 hour trip?

Do all of you have unlimited data? How much data would Waze use on a 4 or 5 hour trip?

I now have unlimited data but didn't last time I drove to and from Colorado. I used Waze the whole way and didn't go over my data limit. It does drain your battery, so you will want to keep it plugged in. I also have a "holder" that I recommend. I'll look it up on Amazon and post again.

I now have unlimited data but didn't last time I drove to and from Colorado. I used Waze the whole way and didn't go over my data limit. It does drain your battery, so you will want to keep it plugged in. I also have a "holder" that I recommend. I'll look it up on Amazon and post again.

Thank you, TB&G! I appreciate the info. I have a holder and I do have Waze but have only used it sparingly. I do like Waze though and may start using it more often.

Here is what I use to put my phone where I need it to be. Super easy and can move from vehicle to vehicle. Amazon.com: WizGear Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Holder with Fast Swift-Snap Technology for Smartphones and Mini Tablets, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Edit: I just read that you have one, RTS, but I'll leave this here in case anyone else is looking for one.

I have a GPS unit that sits in the glove box. IPhones have all the info you need and will even sync to give directions over the speakers in your car. Waze is the way to go. I use my work Ipad due to data usage.

I love Waze. I use it even when I know where I am going, as it alerts to travel delays, police and accidents. I'll never go back to a separate GPS device for travel.
Same here. Once I found Waze I quit using anything else.