Gender Pronouns

So I went to a debate on this topic recently and just wanted to see how far apart I am on this topic from others. There are something like 70+ pronouns and in Canada it's a hate crime not to use the requested pronoun. Places like NYC and the University of Michigan have started to adopt these policies in some fashion.

This has nothing to do with the transgender debate to me. It is scary from a Freedom of Speech standpoint if we tell people what they must say as private citizens from a standpoint not backed by science. There is one category called Q+ I think wherw they don't even identify as human but things like pixies and fairies. I go to these type of thimgs with an open mind. But has common sense gone out the window ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who teaches at a public college in New England. He's told me before that using the wrong pronoun with folks can create a real firestorm. He's as open and progressive as they come and even he gets frustrated.

There are so many different designations that it's just this side of ludicrous to imagine that most people can keep up with it.

For me, if someone wants to correct me on pronoun usage then go ahead. I'll do my best to abide by it out of a sense of good manners.

I have a friend who teaches at a public college in New England. He's told me before that using the wrong pronoun with folks can create a real firestorm. He's as open and progressive as they come and even he gets frustrated.

There are so many different designations that it's just this side of ludicrous to imagine that most people can keep up with it.

For me, if someone wants to correct me on pronoun usage then go ahead. I'll do my best to abide by it out of a sense of good manners.

I understand the good manners argument although I still think its a slippery slope I am not willing to go down. Biologically speaking you are male or female period. I am willing to call a transgender by the proper male or female if the surgery is done. But making up fake pronouns is a level I am not willing to explore.

My worry about this issue is the legal side. With the examples I gave in Canada, NYC and the University of Michigan.

I'm going to go the opposite way here and say "good manners" would be to NOT sit around and try to dream up eleven billion different pronouns and try to make things more difficult on everyone, then get coffined when someone can't follow because it's so confusing and beyond ludicrous.

Part of this stems from the need of insecure people to feel relevant or important. The grievance industry feeds heavily off of insecurities of insecure people.

I like your term "grievance industry" ...... quite accurate and descriptive.

Part of this stems from the need of insecure people to feel relevant or important. The grievance industry feeds heavily off of insecurities of insecure people.

I'd go a step further and say there is a section of people who always want to be vicitims or claim to be persecuted.