Photo shows Amelia Earhart survived?

BigVMan23

Very very interesting, and a special on the History Channel Sunday night discusses s this. Investigators claim a photo shows Earhart and her navigator on a dock on a remote atoll near the Marshall islands in Japanese custody, with her plane in tow behind a ship.

Evidently this matches up with stories locals for years told in the area. The photo was found essentially through accident, as it was misfiled and was supposed to be in a classified file, instead being filed under something else, eventually leading to it's discovery after 80 years. I think I will be watching Sunday night.

Does This Photo Prove Amelia Earhart Survived Her Final Flight? [Video]

Glass ceiling–shattering pilot Amelia Earhart vanished in 1937 while trying to fly around the world. But now, almost exactly 80 years later, there may be a new development in her disappearance.

Experts said they believe a recently uncovered photo from the National Archives shows Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan the same year the aviators went missing, the Today Show reported exclusively on Wednesday. The woman thought to be Earhart isn't facing the camera, but her characteristics match up. The picture is labeled "Jaluit Atoll," which is the name of an area in the Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean, and displays the Japanese ship Koshu as it moves a 38-foot-long item.

Earhart's plane was 38 feet, 7 inches long.

"We have no evidence anywhere that she crashed into the ocean, even though that's been the common narrative for so many years," Shawn Henry, former executive assistant director of the FBI, told Today. "I think we have a lot of evidence that she lived and survived in the Marshall Islands."

Henry worked on the upcoming History Channel special Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence, which discovered the photo in question. So, too, did executive producer Gary Tarpinian, who laid out his Earhart theory in the Today interview: The Japanese took Earhart to Saipan in the Mariana Islands and imprisoned the pilot until her death.

There are a number of theories about what happened to Earhart after she was last seen on July 2, 1937, taking off from New Guinea to travel to Howland Island. The suggestion that she and Noonan crashed and were captured by the Japanese is not new—witnesses have been saying for years that they saw the duo get arrested for spying.

"My father was 23 at the time and working at the Japanese seaport moving drums of water for a Japanese company that took water from the big spring east of the port. That dock area is where he saw the two tall white people under guard," local politician Stanley McGinnis Torres told the Japan Times. "He couldn’t say that the Americans he saw were Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan. He couldn’t say for sure what happened to them, but it makes sense to me that the prisoners, whoever they were, were either killed here on Saipan or sent on to Japan for questioning."

Others, of course, have poked holes in the story or continued to pursue other explanations. Representatives from the International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, for example, told The New York Times they think Earhart landed on the island of Nikumaroro. In their account, she transmitted distress signals and tried to request a rescue but was ultimately stranded.

The History Channel crew, however, remained unconvinced—and excited over the photo, which they swear is authentic and suggest may have been covered up by government officials, according to People.

"This absolutely changes history," Henry said.

A good friend, Ed Reickhoff, who unfortunately passed away prior to some of the more recent information on Amelia Earhart, was completely obsessed with her disappearance, dedicating much of his life trying to create reliable conjecture as to her route and possible point of demise..

Hopefully, upon passing he was able to discover what actually happened to the female pilot, back in the late 30's.

This explanation certainly makes sense, and would at least provide some closure for those who have been baffled by her disappearance throughout all these years.

Watched this show for a few minutes last night. I could not stomach it. It was like watching 'Finding Bigfoot. "Wow. this is where she may have stayed, as possibly witnessed by the aunt of a lady that delivered towels to the jail."

How did it end up? No proof I'm guessing.

Watched this show for a few minutes last night. I could not stomach it. It was like watching 'Finding Bigfoot. "Wow. this is where she may have stayed, as possibly witnessed by the aunt of a lady that delivered towels to the jail."

How did it end up? No proof I'm guessing.

I just finished it after DVRing.

They did a good job of tying together the pieces and including previous research, documents, transcripts and eyewitnesses. It went well beyond just the photo. They trace things back to Saipan where it appears Earheart and Noonan were likely executed as spies.

For a two-hour special they 'fit-the-curve' of the data points quickly and without a lot of tree-knocks or whoops. It moves at a good pace mostly. Worth watching.

Wow, THAT is interesting. And it states the bodies were actually recovered in 1944. I wonder where that evidence came from and if it's true? if it is true, then there are people in the government or were in the government who know.

It seems that one of the Marines who was assigned to recovery remains in 1944 spoke up in 1960s and that led to an expedition that did recover bone fragments - and had them analyzed by a lab that concluded that the fragments came from a Caucasian woman around 40 years of age. Earhart was 39 at the time of the disappearance. Clips from that expedition was part of the special on Sunday.

As part of the special they did a new did in the same area and where hoping for some new bone fragments to be found as they wanted to do DNA testing against a known Earhart relative. But they come up empty. And the previously recovered fragments are now missing or lost.

There was also a letter/memo from a senior Marine officer from the 60s that seemed to indicate it was known that Earhart and Noonan met their fates at Saipan.