Internet Provider Question

PP1

Moving to Florence in a few days. I wanted AT&T to be my internet provider because I have grown to loathe Cincinnati Bell. AT&T says they do not service this area and that Cincinnati Bell is the primary server. Does that mean that I have no choice but to get Cincinnati Bell? Is there no other company that can service my internet?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard good and bad about Cincinnati bell. Pick your poison. I rarely have any problens with Spectrum, if i do I call and get it fixed.

Like Hammer said they can both suck equally. You may try telling them about how the previous owner told you about blah blah and have them run new wires to your house. Worth a shot.

I can speak to Cincinnati Bell. If you have a true fiber line connecting to your house it is a no brainer buy it. If you have fiber over copper, meaning mostly fiber but copper leading directly up to your house (which I have now for the last 600 feet or so) then you need to ask around that neighborhood and see whatever everyone tells you. Please keep in mind most people are complete idiots when it comes to tech.

Finally, my Cincinnati Bell Net is terrific and knock on wood NEVER fails. It frankly has been amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm moving from Highland Heights to Cold Spring in two weeks. Currently have Cincinnati Bell Fioptics for TV and Internet. I'm moving less than 2 miles and Cincy Bell Fioptics isn't available there. Since getting some tech upgrades two years ago I haven't had any issues with CincyBell so I'm a bit disappointed. So my three options now to stay with cable/satellite are either Spectrum Internet/TV, CinyBell's Zoomtown Internet/DirecTV package, or Spectrum Internet and DirecTV separately. There's some pros and cons to all three. Any advice?

I'm thinking of moving over to Spectrum myself, currently have Windstream and it has been a nightmare lately. I'm pretty patient when it comes to slow speeds or a dropped connection, but when it continues for long periods of time and customer service just gives you the run around I start looking at other options. Yesterday was the first day in nearly two weeks that I was able to access BGP or any other http website via my pc.

Fioptics, even if the last couple hundred feet are copper, should be better that insight/twc/spectrum or whatever they go by tomorrow.

It will be, or SHOULD be, more consistent in speed. Not having the drastic fluctuations based on the activity in your neighborhood.

i.e. school letting out and all the neighborhood kids getting home and jumping on their online games, Netflix, or whatever won't have the same impact as if you are on cable.

Fiber to the house will definitely get you higher speed potential, but copper from the pole is still better than cable...

Finally go the knock on the door yesterday. Fiber optics is available. Guy quoted me the same as what i'm getting now for about $70 cheaper. Plus the internet is supposed to be 4 times faster. Bundled package with phone internet and cable with some premium stations. Guaranteed for a year. Will they jack up the price after 1 year?

What are your thoughts? Should I pull the trigger and fire Spectrum??? Side note, just paid Spectrum. Will they prorate and return my money if I cancel?