US Navy Destroyer Collides with Japanese Merchant Ship

Having been in Japan I have seen these kind of zones that have heavy maritime traffic in them but I still can't imagine two ships colliding. Even in a restricted zone there should still be plenty of space to maneuver out of the way of an oncoming vessel. Ships colliding isn't something you hear of very often at all.

This area seems to have an accident like this every few years. I have to really wonder how a US NAVY ship was involved however. These guys should be the best on the water. Unless the container just turned right into them I'm at a loss how this could have happened if anyone at all was paying attention.

This area seems to have an accident like this every few years. I have to really wonder how a US NAVY ship was involved however. These guys should be the best on the water. Unless the container just turned right into them I'm at a loss how this could have happened if anyone at all was paying attention.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. While those destroyers are large ships, they can move along at a pretty good clip and should have no problem avoiding a collision with a much larger, slower, container ship. With the radar systems on board the destroyers and the constant monitoring of radar I'm at a loss as how this could happen.