• Johnson, Essex
    • Johnson, Pete
    • Johnson, Rudi
    • Kinnebrew, Larry
    • Neal, Lorenzo
    • Phillips, Jess
    • Robinson, Paul
    • Woods, Ickey

As a part of the celebration of the Bengal's 50th year of existence, the organization is having fans vote on a "First 50" team of the 50 greatest past Bengals players. The voting period has officially ended, but I thought it might be fun to discuss who you'd pick by position.

Given the percent of running backs from the total pool of players to choose from, you should be able to pick 7 RB's and still keep a fairly even distribution from among other positions.

You can check out the players in the link and look at some basic info on their individual careers with the team. Bengals First 50

RUNNING BACKS:

1) Alexander, Charles

2) Ball, Eric

3) Benson, Cedric

4) Brooks, James

5) Clark, Boobie

6) Dillon, Corey

7) Elliott, Lenvil

8) Green, Harold

9) Griffin, Archie

10) Johnson, Essex

11) Johnson, Pete

12) Johnson, Rudi

13) Kinnebrew, Larry

14) Neal, Lorenzo

15) Phillips, Jess

16) Robinson, Paul

17) Woods, Ickey

Pound for pound,James brooks is the best back they ever had. Essex Johnson,the best open field,and maybe the fastest back they had.Can't argue with Corey Dillon for maybe the toughest.

Boobie Clark,underrated!!! He was one of the first big backs,who also had some speed. He and Essex Johnson,ran for over 900 yards in one season.Mid "70"s. Not sure what year. Love the poll,and the debate. Keep it going gentlemen

I spoke with Ken Anderson about Earl Campbell and he spoke nicely of him but said Pete was so underrated. He said they were very similar but EC got the ball 40 times a game.

For me and what I watched, Brooks is #1 and he NEVER shied from contact. Dillon and PJ. I'll put Clark and Robinson on list just cause my pop spoke of them a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke with Ken Anderson about Earl Campbell and he spoke nicely of him but said Pete was so underrated. He said they were very similar but EC got the ball 40 times a game.

For me and what I watched, Brooks is #1 and he NEVER shied from contact. Dillon and PJ. I'll put Clark and Robinson on list just cause my pop spoke of them a bunch.

Imo if Corey Dillon played on Bengals teams that were good, that people would have him be number 1 and it not even be close. As great as Brooks was running and catching. He also played with good qbs. He had a qb who was a mvp one year. Teams couldn't just key on him. On the other hand Dillon was the guy all teams keyed on, and he still was great. He broke the rushing record against the number 1 rush defense, and his qb only completing 2 passes. Dillon was able to get the tough yards but also break the big plays. He was Adrian Peterson before Adrian Peterson imo.

The way I look at it. Is if you switch him and Brooks. Brooks probably does nothing with the Bengals if he played with Akli Smith and no wrs. While Dillon probably would be a HOF if he played with the players Brooks played with.