WKU 2017-2018 Predictions

CyrusJS

I've heard plenty around BG about what people are expecting, but haven't heard much from outside people. What is everyone expecting out of Western this coming year? Expectations are high in BG. It seems NCAA or bust. On paper, WKU will be one of the most talented teams in all of the NCAA.

5* McDonalds AA, Four 4* players (1 JUCO, 2 Transfers, 1 Freshman), 3 3* (Hollingsworth, 2-Xfer), and a few returning players. Grad transfers include players from UVA and Kansas.

They will playing in an August overseas trip, and will be playing in the famous pre-season tournament Battle 4 Atlantis.

Home Games: Belmont, Eastern Kentucky, Wright State, Indiana State

Away Games: Austin Peay, Ohio, Wisconsin

Neutral Court: Battle For Atlantis

Still 2 OOC games to be scheduled, and of course a fairly weak conference slate, sans MTSU, UAB, UTEP, Charlotte, ODU.

Im guessing 28 wins with CUSA tourney win, and a 13 seed in NCAA. Won't predict much more beyond that.

Probation. Just a hunch.

On the court, which I realize is what you're asking, the combination of their roster and the hilarity of their schedule, I'm sure you're right that they'll stack up wins.

My alma mater has sold their soul for a splash, I hope 5 years from now we applaud Todd for the move...but I'm obviously skeptical.

Probation. Just a hunch.

On the court, which I realize is what you're asking, the combination of their roster and the hilarity of their schedule, I'm sure you're right that they'll stack up wins.

My alma mater has sold their soul for a splash, I hope 5 years from now we applaud Todd for the move...but I'm obviously skeptical.

Oh, come on. If you know anything about Todd, he would not allow a single questionable thing to go on. He's about as involved as an AD as any.

People have been throwing shade at Stansbury for two decades, and not a single shred of evidence of wrongdoing has ever been found. Even the best cheaters would have been caught by now.

If you know anything about Todd, he would not allow a single questionable thing to go on.

What about the basketball players' suspension that led to Harper having to resign?

Or the swim team's hazing issues that led to the program being suspended?

How about the football players getting suspended / disciplined for beating up a Pike member?

Todd has, by and large, done a very good job in his 5 years there, but please don't act as if "he would not allow a single questionable thing to go on"; that is a bar that virtually no AD in America could live up to.

Time will tell on Stansbury, but I will tell you this: every national guy I know personally that covers college basketball thinks it is when, and not if, they get busted by the NCAA. That speaks volumes.

What about the basketball players' suspension that led to Harper having to resign?

Had nothing to do with the coach. Off-campus boys being stupid with their cellphones.

Off campus at a party house. Nothing to do with coach.

How about the football players getting suspended / disciplined for beating up a Pike member?

Off campus, nothing to do with coach.

Todd has, by and large, done a very good job in his 5 years there, but please don't act as if "he would not allow a single questionable thing to go on"; that is a bar that virtually no AD in America could live up to.

Time will tell on Stansbury, but I will tell you this: every national guy I know personally that covers college basketball thinks it is when, and not if, they get busted by the NCAA. That speaks volumes.

I didn't want this thread to turn into a Stans bashing thing. So let's not keep going with this much further.

Only thing I have to add is regarding your "national guy" thing. Goodman is the one leading the charge and is the only person that has made any kind of suggestion of wrong doing. However, he has admittedly said he has ZERO evidence of any kind that he is cheating.

The big coaches are salty that WKU is stealing what they consider their birthright. No surprise that they are going to go around spreading rumors so that they can keep their pecking order intact. That's where Goodman got started on all of this. A big name coach texted him saying that Stans has to be dirty. Probably Bill Self, if you know anything about Goodman.

Let me break this down for those who don't understand it yet:

1) Stans was the main recruiter at TAMU, where Mitchell Robinson was committed. He de-committed once Stans left for WKU. Stans hired Robinsons godfather onto the staff. Robinson committs to WKU.

2) Once a Top 10 player is signed, WKU becomes an easier sell. Next up? Josh Anderson, the 4*. He is from the same state as Robinson, and they were "friends."

3) Once WKU has a 5* and 4*, WKU was able to nab a couple grad transfers who only had one year left. "Come play for WKU, you'll get plenty of playing time, and play with one of the best recruiting classes in the country." Not many schools can promise playing time for them, but WKU can.

4) People complain that WKU "must be cheating" since they are getting great recruits that we usually don't get. Stansbury has always been one of the best recruiters, bringing in top classes to Starksville, a place with worse success/facilities/etc than WKU. Anyone who has been paying attention knows what he is capable of, and I explained the reason he was able to nab such a great class above.

We won't have classes this good in the future. We will keep getting great talent that we usually don't sniff at, but the stars aligned for this years recruiting haul.

@CyrusJS, I love your passion for WKU and I'm certainly glad you're on BGP and I hope you stay a very active member. We need more WKU information and presence on the site, so I'm thrilled you're here. I think you have a little bias / loyalty / red-towel covered glasses, but I can appreciate that. I was a Spirit Master at WKU, so believe me, no one loves the joint more than I do.

Thanks for jumping on the site as a member, glad to have you!! :thumb:

We are all biased. No getting around that.

And thanks! It's why I joined. If there is stuff on here about Cinci, then someone needs to be here to prop up one of the states major schools. Trying to provide that.

Jordan Brangers will be a star...kid has waited and worked years for this opportunity. If he does what is expected of him, he will have a really good year.

He is dirty from deep. A Marshall Henderson type. Going to be fun to watch.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what WKU can do this year and beyond. Being from BG the Hilltoppers will always have a special place in my heart. There is a lot of excitement locally around the Hilltoppers.

As for the probation speculation...we'll, folks said the same things about Calipari when he took over at UK and they seem to be doing just fine. I'd be more worried about Stansbury leaving in 2-4 years for a higher profile job(kind of like Petrino once he kept his nose clean) than WKU going on probation.

Legitimate point, if he has been cheating all this time, why hasn't the NCAA come down on him?

I hear the rumors around town. I've started to wonder myself though, where is the money coming from? The WKU guys around town with big money have been tapped out by the university already in moving to D1 and paying high football coach salaries.

Legitimate point, if he has been cheating all this time, why hasn't the NCAA come down on him?

I hear the rumors around town. I've started to wonder myself though, where is the money coming from? The WKU guys around town with big money have been tapped out by the university already in moving to D1 and paying high football coach salaries.

Western has plenty of old money running through its checkbook. Not enough to outbid the big boys on recruits, though!

Lot's of buzz the last few days on Twitter about the surge in season tickets already happening compared to previous years, despite the increased ticket prices/donation requirements. Hopefully we will have a few sellouts this year.