US Open at Erin Hills in Wisconsin

From what I can see of this layout on TV if the owners are charging more than $10 per round for the average Joe to play it they're charging too much.

I don't like the US Open played on quirky tricked up golf courses that relies about as much on one's luck as great shot making ability.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see of this layout on TV if the owners are charging more than $10 per round for the average Joe to play it they're charging too much.

I don't like the US Open played on quirky tricked up golf courses that relies about as much on one's luck as great shot making ability.

I haven't been following the discussion of this. I just made a note to watch this weekend because it the "Father's Day" thing to do! Can you go into more detail about what you mean?

I haven't been following the discussion of this. I just made a note to watch this weekend because it the "Father's Day" thing to do! Can you go into more detail about what you mean?

One example is one of the commentators dropped a ball in the middle of one of the greens and the ball rolled off the green into the apron and down a hill. I realize the pros like fast greens but it should still be at least halfway fair. Good shots should be rewarded, not penalized. They ran into the same type of quirky course in the Pacific Northwest two years ago.

Maybe I'm just partial to courses that don't have major obstacles beyond reason on most holes.

The USGA seems to be the type of organization that instead of reconciling it's previous goof-ups, just looks to keep its name on the front of the sports page.

There are lots of ins and outs to hosting an event these days, but I think they need to rely on their "old faithfuls" when it comes to hosting US Opens.

One example is one of the commentators dropped a ball in the middle of one of the greens and the ball rolled off the green into the apron and down a hill. I realize the pros like fast greens but it should still be at least halfway fair. Good shots should be rewarded, not penalized. They ran into the same type of quirky course in the Pacific Northwest two years ago.

Maybe I'm just partial to courses that don't have major obstacles beyond reason on most holes.

I'm not sure that this course is going to be quite as bad as Chambers Bay was a couple years ago. From what I've heard from the pro's that have played it, it's fairly well liked. Unfair greens and pin placements are kind of a trademark of the US Open, where Par is kind of considered the benchmark.

I think it looks brutal (which is fine), with green complexes that are categorically "tricked up" and unfair. The course can play nearly 8,000 yards, but they say it won't. If you miss a fairway by more than 20 feet left or right, in most cases, you're either lost or hacking out of fescue. Apparently a fair amount of players won't be able to reach the par 4 3rd hole if there is wind. The 2nd shot at the par 5 1st is apparently ridiculously hard. Some are saying the greens will roll 12 or faster, and if they high-point some pins, you'll have guys putting up one hill, missing the hole, and rolling down the other side. That is bonkers.

I'm certainly excited to watch, and I never mind a US Open with a score over par, but silly is still silly. I'm certainly skeptical going into it.

The best US Opens are ones where the winning score is around even par. IMO there is no such thing as unfair. It's unfair to everyone therefore it's fair. Good shots aren't rewarded. Great shots are. If great shots require a little luck. But from my experience those that are the luckiest are also the best in the world.

Well @TheProfessor it looks so far like you got what you wanted. The US Open has been a snooze fest so far on the first day. An opening round 65. Are you kidding me?

I might have rushed to judgement on this course too fast. At first glance when the Golf Channel was going over some of the quirks and so forth I was afraid it would be another Chambers Bay, which imo was awful.

Well @TheProfessor it looks so far like you got what you wanted. The US Open has been a snooze fest so far on the first day. An opening round 65. Are you kidding me?
It looks as if the USGA over-reacted to the worries / concerns of some players and many journalists. I'm certain they'll have far more difficult tee boxes / pin positions tomorrow.

That said, some very good players were "fescue'd" today, like Rahm, Johnson, Dufner, and Horschel with his now infamous 9 on the 1st hole -- and the afternoon wave should face a more difficult and more baked-out course than those with the AM tee times.

Kentuckian JB Holmes gets in with a -3 and is currently T7. Had an up and down back nine, but a late pair of birdies got him back to -3.