Top 2A Boys to Watch at the 2017 State Track Meet

Friday is the final day of the track season for class 2A. The boys featured below are just a few of the many outstanding performers who will compete at UK's Outdoor Track Complex. (All ranking #'s are for class 2A, unless noted):

Alex McClarty, North Oldham '17: 800m, 1600m, 3200m, 4 x 800m & 4 x 400m Relays.

* #1 performer in all three individual events, and is on the roster for availability in both highly ranked Mustangs relay squads. Will be the primary source of points for N.O. to finish top five in the team tally. Best event: 3200m.

* Member of four consecutive State champion teams in Cross Country.

Jairus Brents, Waggener '18: 100m, 200m, 4 x 200m Relay.

* All-state footballer (with high D1 interest), is the defending champion in the 100 and 200.

Doesn't compete much leading up to regional. Didn't qualify higher than 7th in either event. Looking to see if he can regain his 2016 form to repeat.

Aaron Johnson, Mercer Co. '18 110m & 300m Hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump.

* Defending champion in the 110m Hurdles. Ranked: 110m Hurdles, #1 (#4 KY); 300m Hurdles, #1 (#2 KY); High Jump #1 (T #3 KY); Long Jump #4 (T #6 KY). Popped personal bests in both jumps at regional. Team favorite Titans counting on all the points he can grab.

Dylan Bradshaw, Marion County '17: Pole Vault

* Last year's 3rd place finisher has made huge improvements this year. 15-7 vault a month ago at the Bryan Station All-comers meet ranks #1, (#1 KY), (T #3 KY All-time), and is 5 inches over the current State Meet record.

Paducah Tilghman: 4 x 100m Relay, 4 x 200m Relays.

* Led by top sprinters Jayden Freeman and Montel Wiggins, the #2 Blue Tornado looks to rack up major points in pursuit of #1 Mercer Co., who have excellent squads in all four relays.

Rising Stars: These boys are the #1 performers in their events this season

Nathan Jacobs, Collins '19: Discus

* 3rd last year. 153-0 is also (#4 KY). consistently over 140-0

Jayden Freeman, Paducah Tilghman '20: 200m

* 200m #1, (#3 KY). Should place in both 100m, 200m, & 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 Relays.

http://khsaa.org/track/2017/statetrackmeetschedule.pdf

http://khsaa.org/records/track/statetrackmeetrecords.pdf

Randy Wyatt was pretty disappointed in his teams 2nd place finish. Stated there were no positives and his team was the first loser. If I were a parent of a kid on that team, I'd be disappointed in my coach's remarks. Video below.

Paducah Tilghman's boys finish runner-up at state track meet - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority

Randy Wyatt was pretty disappointed in his teams 2nd place finish. Stated there were no positives and his team was the first loser. If I were a parent of a kid on that team, I'd be disappointed in my coach's remarks. Video below.

Paducah Tilghman's boys finish runner-up at state track meet - WPSD Local 6: Your news, weather, and sports authority

Well..., that was unfortunate. Boys were ranked a distant 2nd going in, and finished 2nd. Wyatt must have been embarrassed by the 51 pt. margin. They just didn't have the talent this year. Tough when the expectations are so high.

Their best sprinters are underclassmen. They have no distance program, and throws depth is thin. Almost all of PT's runners beat or equaled their qualifying marks from region. The points they lost against the pre-meet form-charts wasn't poor performance; some opponents just had killer season / personal bests. A couple of Wyatt's field event folks had bad days, but they weren't gonna score points anyway.

Really, give credit to the Mercer Co. boys. They just crushed it.