NBA Draft - Snake draft???

I heard Mark Cuban's comments the other day about tanking after they were eliminated from playoff consideration. It bothers me that any team would deliberately not be all in on winning every game they play. However, I understand the benefit of having a better draft position.

After thinking about this, I came up with a unique idea. Any fantasy league that I have ever played in has always snaked the draft. This helps to keep balance and gives all teams a chance on draft day.

What if: All pro leagues snaked their drafts? What are the Pro's and Con's of doing this? Would it work in all leagues? Does it help eliminate tanking?

A snake draft doesn't make sense for professional sports. It would hurt the weaker teams and reward the stronger teams. Why would you want to give the defending champions the 1st pick in the 2nd round? Fantasy leagues use snake drafts to create balance because everyone's roster is blank. Obviously that's not the case in the real world.

How about not having a draft? Why reward the worst franchises with the right to select the top players, penalizing them by forcing them to play for ineptly managed organizations (Phil Jackson & the Knicks, Vlade Divac & the Kings anyone)?

Tired of hearing the argument it is for the sake of competitive balance. I say let everyone eligible for entry be allowed to be a free agent and choose to sign with whoever they want. It works in the real world. Why are professional sports leagues the exception?

How about all teams get the same amount of ping pong balls instead of a weighted system. Let's all agree, if you aren't in the top 50% of the league standings you stink regardless of actual win totals.

How about not having a draft? Why reward the worst franchises with the right to select the top players, penalizing them by forcing them to play for ineptly managed organizations (Phil Jackson & the Knicks, Vlade Divac & the Kings anyone)?

Tired of hearing the argument it is for the sake of competitive balance. I say let everyone eligible for entry be allowed to be a free agent and choose to sign with whoever they want. It works in the real world. Why are professional sports leagues the exception?

Free agency isn't worth as much to ESPN as the draft.

The league would become more top heavy than it is now and several franchises would lose fan support and go broke. Teams like the Kings, Jazz and Timberwolves would never get top notch players and would never be competitive. The draft at least gives the small market teams a chance.

This could work in theory if you only had 5 teams in the league who are in equally desirable locations with equally desirable coaching situations. When you have 30 teams in a league in places like Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, Portland, OKC, etc. the draft is the only thing keeping the best players from signing with the same 5 teams. There is already enough disparity between the best and worst teams in the league, imagine if the Cavs actually had a bench behind their Big 3? In the real world I'm all for complete freedom to choose where you want to go and the best business (teams) survive. But Pro sports are different in the sense that the business isn't the individual teams, the business is the leagues themselves and the teams are more like departments within an organization. You want all of your departments to be operating a maximum efficiency in order for the organization to be successful.