FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 8th

Corbin @ Beechwood 7:30pm

Anderson @ Harrison 7:00pm

Covington Catholic @ Kings 7:00pm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cov Cath has taken part in it almost every year...put me down as hoping they'll dump the "showdown".

Stupid.

Can you find out if they actually make any money on being a part of this. I know SK didn't when they were in it a few years. Just curious.

Can you find out if they actually make any money on being a part of this. I know SK didn't when they were in it a few years. Just curious.

Yes, it's completely about money. Once upon a time I was told each competing team got $2000 from the event in addition to a cut of the gate, but I have zero clue how reliable that source was.

I agree everyone, I think this is a tragedy.

All it is, is local schools price gouging their fans with high ticket prices to cover the large cash payments the promoters of the event are paying the schools.

I will go further, I think it is unethical on the part of the schools and I don't think it should be allowed.

Yes, it's completely about money. Once upon a time I was told each competing team got $2000 from the event in addition to a cut of the gate, but I have zero clue how reliable that source was.

So the 2K is equal to 250 tickets at $8 a piece. The gates are split three ways (instead of the home team keeping all, or a gate split with the visiting team like some contracts for games).

So for some small schools it might be worth it, but bigger schools its not really (all depends on matchup of opponent I guess.)

Just to play another KY school.

All it is, is local schools price gouging their fans with high ticket prices to cover the large cash payments the promoters of the event are paying the schools.

I will go further, I think it is unethical on the part of the schools and I don't think it should be allowed.

I dont mind the promoter being paid, they are not forcing teams to participate. I just wish they actual had some "Crosstown" showdown games.

I dont mind the promoter being paid, they are not forcing teams to participate. I just wish they actual had some "Crosstown" showdown games.

Like I have said in the past, Tom Gamble (I assume he is still in charge) is a smart guy because he gets all these schools to participate by dangling plenty of cash in front of them.

Or put another way, great job Tom Gamble and shame on all you schools for fleecing your fans.

Like I have said in the past, Tom Gamble (I assume he is still in charge) is a smart guy because he gets all these schools to participate by dangling plenty of cash in front of them.

Or put another way, great job Tom Gamble and shame on all you schools for fleecing your fans.

Im with you, blame the participating schools, not the guy running the event.

I have absolutely no problem with the double-headers at Nippert Stadium and wish there were more of those. The price is decent for 2 games even some fans really only want to see their school's game. Playing in a Division 1 facility is sweet and memorable for the players.

The mid-week games at high school facilities are terrible but at least you primarily have the night exclusively. The Friday games at high schools serve no purpose.

And the days of Ohio vs KY (cross-town) are gone with the Harbin points on the line. Ohio teams with a chance to make the expanded playoff (vs years ago) can't just accept any game on the schedule.

Surely you can come up with a more apt description than "tragedy."