Trump Speech at Coast Guard Graduation

“Now I want to take this opportunity to give you some advice. Over the course of your life, you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve, and are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up. Things will work out just fine. Look at the way I’ve been treated lately, especially by the media. No politician in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly. You can’t let them get you down.”

If you take out the yellow and red (or at least the red) above, I think you have a fairly straightforward graduation message you might hear anywhere else.

Does he honestly not know or just doesn't care that this will be pounced upon by anyone who wants to easily mock his tin ear (from John McCain on Morning Joe this morning to the Late Night comedians to all of the Twitter memes [Mandela, JFK, Lincoln, Patrice Lumumba, etc.])?

More importantly, does anyone object to him making the most important day in a lot of those Coast Guard graduates' lives all about him - as usual?

Politically stupid. Personally objectionable.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Now I want to take this opportunity to give you some advice. Over the course of your life, you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve, and are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up. Things will work out just fine. Look at the way I’ve been treated lately, especially by the media. No politician in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly. You can’t let them get you down.”

If you take out the yellow and red (or at least the red) above, I think you have a fairly straightforward graduation message you might hear anywhere else.

Does he honestly not know or just doesn't care that this will be pounced upon by anyone who wants to easily mock his tin ear (from John McCain on Morning Joe this morning to the Late Night comedians to all of the Twitter memes [Mandela, JFK, Lincoln, Patrice Lumumba, etc.])?

More importantly, does anyone object to him making the most important day in a lot of those Coast Guard graduates' lives all about him - as usual?

The colored font was an issue if you want to restate anything.

Let's try this. ITALICIZE = yellow & BOLD = red. Carry on. :)

President Trump's speaking style is certainly marked with a lot of hyperbole, and if he left it presented as straight hyperbole I wouldn't gripe about it nearly as much as I do, but it's when he adds in statements like "and I say this with great surety" that he looks much more foolish. He's trying to authenticate his statements of hyperbole as actual truth :no:

Also, he needs to fact-check that statement:

Untitled.jpg

Trump is not talking in literal terms like some of you have suggested. You are taking his statement out of context. He is talking about the media and all the politicians. To say anything else is trying to do exactly what the media does about him. Lie.