Guest Column - Matt Bevin

Every year in the past, the Economic Development representatives would come to my plant and ask what the Governor's office could do to support growth of our business. We were a union plant, and although the relationship was good, it was still a cost and administrative burden both to the company and many of the individuals. I told the representatives the Governor needed to push to be a right-to-work state. The representatives stated every year that there was no way that the Governor (Beshear at the time) would entertain that. I believe it is right for this state as we compete with neighboring states for employers. The next step is for the federal government to make it easier to de-certify unions.

Right to work is a race to the bottom. If my employees want to form a union I'll buy the donuts for the meeting.

Please, let's talk after they have formed one and you have to manage a company that is no longer yours to manage as you see fit.

Talk to me after your periodic re-negotiation in accordance with NLRB rules that will cost you in the neighborhood of six figures for legal representation, facility, time from work for bargaining committees, and contingency planning. Talk to me after you find out, as will most of your employees, that the union only really serve those who mainly don't deserve to be there. Talk to me after you have gone to arbitration, which is a joke, for the stupidest disciplinary action after you bent over backward to try to help someone. I lived the union life, and succeeded, for 30 years, but I don't think any business owner, in his right mind, would start a company, and then look for unions to represent his/her workers. That should tell me something other than you are being naïve.

Edited by doomer

Right to work is a race to the bottom. If my employees want to form a union I'll buy the donuts for the meeting.

Furthermore, I can put my money where my mouth is: you PM me with your company name and address, and I will contact my AFLCIO associates, and I can have them there promptly.

Why is ut that many who believe in right to work, think work is a right, but health care isn't? just wondering. I am certain to be enlightened.

I think the word right is used completely different in each context to start so it's hard to compare when you are acting like it is similar.

Right to Work is trying to eliminate government forced monopoly on the workforce. Saying a product like healthcare is not a right paid for by others is consistent in theme of less government.

Also right to work doesn't mean I'm born with a God given right to work it's saying if a company is willing to employ me I should not be forced to join a 3rd party.

When someone says healthcare is a right they are saying they are entitled to a strangers bank account just because theu were born.

With that said even as someone

with libertarian leanings I do believe we can help those who can't help themselves. Mainly elderly and children. I will never be convinced an able bodied adult has a right to healthcare.

I think the word right is used completely different in each context to start so it's hard to compare when you are acting like it is similar.

Right to Work is trying to eliminate government forced monopoly on the workforce. Saying a product like healthcare is not a right paid for by others is consistent in theme of less government.

No they are not they are used the same. Neither are a right or they both are a right. Now we do know neither ins a Constitutional Right, which is what both parties are trying to use to get people to use their viewpoint.

Also right to work doesn't mean I'm born with a God given right to work it's saying if a company is willing to employ me I should not be forced to join a 3rd party.

When someone says healthcare is a right they are saying they are entitled to a strangers bank account just because theu were born.

With that said even as someone

with libertarian leanings I do believe we can help those who can't help themselves. Mainly elderly and children. I will never be convinced an able bodied adult has a right to healthcare.

I know what both mean and their intent. On the other side of the spectrum. I find it just plain wrong that the wealthiest country on the planet can't provide healthcare for all. And on this we will never agree.

I know what both mean and their intent. On the other side of the spectrum. I find it just plain wrong that the wealthiest country on the planet can't provide healthcare for all. And on this we will never agree.
The government can't even efficiently track packages for delivery and you think it's a solid idea for them to run our healthcare? Or another avenue/entity manage national healthcare? Cause I got some answers for each if we are traveling that path.

No they are not they are used the same. Neither are a right or they both are a right. Now we do know neither ins a Constitutional Right, which is what both parties are trying to use to get people to use their viewpoint.

I honestly do not think you know what you are saying here.

What does my wealth matter compared to your wealth?