Warren East names Orlando Hayden head girls basketball coach

Hayden has been assistant on the boys staff the last two years. Prior to that he was interim head coach at Caverna, leading the Colonels to a district championship in 2015.

Griffith hired as Warren East football coach | Prep Sports | bgdailynews.com

"Warren East also announced Tuesday the hiring of Orlando Hayden to coach the girls’ basketball team. Hayden was an assistant for the Warren East boys’ basketball team and led the boys’ JV team. He also serves as the boys’ track and field coach.

Having already been at Warren East gives Hayden an advantage in building relationships with his future players.

“It helps out quite a bit,” Hayden said. “From the time with me being here with the boys, we’ve done individual workouts and I’ve had some of the girls do individual workouts with me and at the same time, we interacted with each other at practice.”

Hayden was a previous assistant at Glasgow and Caverna and led the Colonels to a 21-6 record and District 18 title in one season as interim head coach in 2014-15.

He replaces Andrew Peters, who stepped down after three seasons and a 14-65 record. The Lady Raiders went 4-24 last year.

Hayden said his main focus is to get the interest up in the school about girls’ basketball and recruit more players to a team that hasn’t won a District 14 game since 2011.

“My main thing is it’s all about the numbers,” Hayden said. “We have to have girls play. Last year I think numbers hurt them and they had a few girls that were hurt. When you play back-to-back in a week, it kind of hurts you.”

Hayden also said he’ll put in a system that will allow every player to score. Baylen Wardlow is the top exiting senior who averaged 10.5 points per game last season. Post player Cressida Duncan led the team with 14.2 points per game and will return next season.

“With her and I’d say at least three or four other girls on that team, I look for big things to happen,” Hayden said. “With her being the post player she is, she’ll be a beast. … If we can get her moving pretty good, I think the rest of the team will build around it and focus and be hard to beat.

“The offense I run is usually set up for everybody to score, not just one person. I think that’s going to be a difference, too, is you’ll see people scoring you probably didn’t see from last year.”

- BG Daily News

I wish him LUCK...he has his work cut for him. I have spoken to him and he seems driven and highly motivated to get the best out of the girls and rebuild what once was Warren East Ladies basketball