Major Ransomware Cyber Attack Underway Around the Globe

Wireman

Just a fair warning for all BGPers.

What is ransomware - and how are hackers using it to attack the NHS? - Mirror Online

WARNING: there is another serious cyber attack underway around the globe. Be EXTREMELY careful with e-mail attachments and backup all of your personal files immediately, just in case. Unless you know what you're opening, your best bet is don't open any attachments.

If your files are attacked...your files are no more. Trust me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hearing about this I checked and found out my computer has failed to install security updates for a couple on months. Also was unable to install the latest updates on my anti-virus. Question for the tech savvy. Should I reset my computer?

I'm on a mad scramble to get all of our computers updated today.

Everyone needs to run Windows Update ASAP

Wish I could, our IT department controls what updates we get from Microsoft (some of them wreak havoc with our other systems).

My understanding is that the vast majority of the computers being hacked are running XP and server 2003. Microsoft released patches for these operating systems, unusual given they quit supporting them years ago.

The links to patches are at the bottom of this article ...

Microsoft Releases Emergency Windows XP Update to Block WannaCry Ransomware

"Microsoft explained that Windows versions still getting support, including here Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, with the latest updates installed and the most recent Windows Defender virus definitions, are completely secure."

The story I heard said Russia and China are getting hit worse than most nations. The reason why? Microsoft issued a patch to fix the opening earlier this year. But, there are so many bootlegged copies of Microsoft running in Russia and China, they did not get the patch and that left them open to the attack. Karma.

I also heard one story that said it looks like the hackers are Russian, and one of the countries hurt the worst - Russia.

I'm still at work. Waiting for a web server and a file server to complete updates. Most of my workstations are windows 10. I made sure the updates were current and scanned them for ransomware. All good.

I have a few Windows 7 workstations and getting those updated proved to be a bit of a task. In fact, I just took several of them offline, so I can address them tomorrow. They just won't update.

I have 2 WS2003 servers and 7 XP machines (virtual and physical). Got the patches installed on them. My other 15 servers are WS2008 R2 with heavy malware and ransomware protection and they will have the current updates applied on all of them when the a fore mentioned servers have completed.

I have a scheduled automated and manual secured backup process to backup all of my hardware, so I could have lost the whole thing and been, OK. Or at least I've got myself convinced I would. :) Karma?

We are almost primarily Windows 7 computers and I didn't have any trouble with updates...other than some of them taking a while to download. We have 4 XP computers that I think I'm going to replace. Finishing up tomorrow. I'm beat for today.