Football practice in June

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-5 days a week lifting conditioning and about an hour on the field running some fundamental drills

The younger version of me would have been really into this as a coach and football dad. Let's go and get it.

The older version of me with my kids nearly grown and gone now sees where this is a big issue with keeping kids playing football. Throw summer basketball in here too.

As a kid I couldn't wait for the seasons of a sport to come around. Spring and summer baseball, football in the fall, and basketball in the late fall and winter. I am a football guy to the core...but I can honestly say that I do not know how much I would have loved the sport if it was 12 months a year or even the entire summer. I lived in the country 15 miles from school. I could not have been there 4-5 days per week thru the entire summer. Same with baseball and basketball. The year round "requirements" on sports has gotten out of hand. Instead of being ready and hungry for a sport to start many are now nearly sick of it by the time the 1st game rolls around. And if you look back thru history I seems to remember a lot of good teams and players before high school sports became year round.

This may have been off topic but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Obviously nothing is mandatory in June. I open up the weight room Monday through Saturday from 7am-11am for all athletes in the school. I set up for three lifts per week that should be done within a half hour easily. The kids come in on their own time, I have to kick some out. As far as football practice goes, we go MTWR.

A CRAP LOAD of kids; especially the "Who's Who" are involved in basketball, baseball and/or wrestling. Some of these kids, especially the ones that are three sport (which are several) will go from 2:00-8:00 or later on some nights when all three have things going on.

Two Days/Week....2-2.5 hours...split groups in the weight room and outside (lift/skill seperate). Eight workouts. It might just end up being 6 workouts, because we might be taking a 3 Week Dead Period (what a travesty; I know..How dare one do such a thing) due to the week before Dead Period the wrestling & basketball teams are both going to be out of town for their "Team Camps".

Come July 10th? Go time. Practice in the morning from 9:00-11:00. M/W- Skill will lift from 11:00-Noon. T/Th- Linemen lift at those times. T/TH those first couple of weeks will be like two-a-days for the skill kids w/ 7v7 in the evenings. They might even come out to practice on a Friday morning that summer, and see water slides/food grilling for lunch...err, "practice".

7v7 all day Saturday tournaments? Nope. You can get the same level of competition/reps at the weekly 'round robin/grid' things without paying to help another program's booster club AND taking up an entire Saturday's. You can find me on my boat with my wife & two daughters and/or playing in a golf scramble with my dad/grandfather.

.....plenty of time and opportunities for work to get put in.

Edited by Harry Doyle

The younger version of me would have been really into this as a coach and football dad. Let's go and get it.

The older version of me with my kids nearly grown and gone now sees where this is a big issue with keeping kids playing football. Throw summer basketball in here too.

As a kid I couldn't wait for the seasons of a sport to come around. Spring and summer baseball, football in the fall, and basketball in the late fall and winter. I am a football guy to the core...but I can honestly say that I do not know how much I would have loved the sport if it was 12 months a year or even the entire summer. I lived in the country 15 miles from school. I could not have been there 4-5 days per week thru the entire summer. Same with baseball and basketball. The year round "requirements" on sports has gotten out of hand. Instead of being ready and hungry for a sport to start many are now nearly sick of it by the time the 1st game rolls around. And if you look back thru history I seems to remember a lot of good teams and players before high school sports became year round.

Don't know that it's possible to agree more with a post.

Obviously nothing is mandatory in June. I open up the weight room Monday through Saturday from 7am-11am for all athletes in the school. I set up for three lifts per week that should be done within a half hour easily. The kids come in on their own time, I have to kick some out. As far as football practice goes, we go MTWR.

Obviously anytime anyone talks about "voluntary" workouts in the summer quotation marks should be used.

Play on playa......preach.

Get some coaches behind closed doors & ask them just this....in particular; come Fall Break they are tanked. Which, IMO (and, not just mine, but others b/c you see them doing it) is why people are trying like no other to get their Open weeks correlate with their Fall Breaks; taking that complete week OFF (see Mayfield and Bowling Green as just a examples that do this every year. John Hardin has the last few years, etc.)

I won't disclose the names of these schools, but....two schools:

One has won a state title in recent years & is always knocking on the door (certified Top 10 program in our state).

Another, while a much smaller, see's the region finals/semis pretty regular.

Both schools are about as opposite ends of the spectrum as it gets in terms of size of school & I know for a fact that their June programs are; come the last day of school? "See you boys July 10th".

I'll throw out another who played in the state finals this year. Their coach has given them a three week dead period the last few years, but this year they are going to a almost right at a full month.

Scott County football takes off the entire month of June so the kids don't have to choose and can take a break, go to camps and be ready to make the long run come July. TOO MUCH EMPHASIS IS PUT ON JUNE PRACTICE. I mean most just had spring ball end. Scott County will open the weight room up some for those that want to lift but that is it as far as June goes.

What people don't talk about is this; there are plenty of programs out there that lift 3-4 times a week Jan-June; go through Spring Practice with a vengeance, etc & are still average programs at best year in year out. That's never mentioned, though.

IF the KHSAA were concerned about sports in our state they would mandate a dead period from the ending of softball/baseball state tourney through July 10th. I maybe in the minority here, but saving these kids from burnout needs to be an addressed issue. Heck, kids are playing 100 plus baseball games a year now starting in little league with spring baseball, summer ball, and fall travel ball...can't imagine why they don't play by the time they are getting to high school. It's a shame really.