Robo Umpire

Robo Balls and Strikes?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Robo Balls and Strikes?

Is it time for balls and strikes to be called by technology, not a human umpire?

We all see the strike box on TV. The technology is there. It is just a matter of working out the exact logistics. I say you keep an umpire behind the plate to run the game and make all the other calls. Let the robot call balls and strikes.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it time for balls and strikes to be called by technology, not a human umpire?

We all see the strike box on TV. The technology is there. It is just a matter of working out the exact logistics. I say you keep an umpire behind the plate to run the game and make all the other calls. Let the robot call balls and strikes.

No.

What is the negative in it? I am sure they could rig it for instantly calling balls and strikes. There would be no disputes over ball and strike calls.

I get tired of people trying to mess with the game. I like the human element of having umpires call balls and strikes and umpires having different strike zones.

I get tired of people trying to mess with the game. I like the human element of having umpires call balls and strikes and umpires having different strike zones.

Spot on. I want the human factor. Otherwise, just give everyone a video game and send them home.

I do not know if the "K Zone" we see on the television is 100% accurate or if it is the same umpires are evaluated against. Each game behind the plate umpires are given a pitch-by-pitch indicator in a "K Zone" type program that shows their accuracy in calling balls/strikes. They are overwhelmingly correct in their calls, a few calls on the border, and less than a handful a game they miss.

Real Sports on HBO had a story about this a little while back, no reason not to have it after watching that...I'm convinced.

It was tested in a Minor League game and both Pitchers and Batters were in favor of it after using it for one game. I'm sick and tired of a pitch being a strike one inning and being a ball the next. UMPIRES are NOT part of the game, they are there to ensure the game is played and called correctly...no more no less. If Robo-Strikes improves the play of the game and the efficiency at which the game is called why could someone really be against it.

For those that like the unique strike zone from Umpire to Umpire or the best hitters and pitchers getting the close calls around the plate...would you prefer that Police Officers just eyeball your speed when writing speeding tickets instead of using a RADAR or Laser to determine speed?

I saw a special on this topic and was very surprised at the high percentage of errors made by the plate umpire. If memory serves, it was nearly 20 percent of the calls were incorrect.

HBO did a study of Pitch F/X data and found that on borderline calls the umpires were incorrect on about 30% of the calls. Pitch F/X is estimated to be within 0.5" accurate.

There was a study a few years ago that pointed to the "human" factor of calling pitches. The study showed that the average MLB umpire did not want to be the deciding factor on a pitch that either put a runner on base or put him on the bench. So a 3-0 pitch that would almost always be a ball was called a K more often than average and the same phenomenon happened on 0-2 pitches where the pitch was likely a strike.

... and you cannot discount the manipulation by catchers to bring the ball back in to the strike zone. This used to be frowned upon but, and I say this as a person that detest dragging pitches, it works. When I coached my son I would tell him that if I ever caught him dragging pitches or 'stealing strikes' that he would have to sit out. Now if he doesn't he would miss a lot of strike calls. Robo ump would eliminate this.

I have added a poll. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I think it would help speed up the game also. I think about all the positive impact. Players aren't distracted by thinking a pitch was a ball or a strike. The call is always right and it is on you the player to focus on being better. No arguing. No disgusted looks or questioning the umpire on pitches. Focus is on the game and being the best at playing the game, not on the umpire. I am having a hard time thinking of a reason not to go robo balls and strikes.