3-game series for regular-season district title

Does your district do this? The 19th District — Bardstown-area schools plus Washington Co. — adopted it this year and I just love it. As I hoped, it came down to the final game. And after rainouts which moved last Friday's G3s into this week, tonight's last game got rained out and pushed to Monday.

Bardstown (8-3 in district) has a 2-0 lead in the series and will go for the sweep Monday at Nelson Co., and possibly face the Cards' top pitcher, lefty Dom Lawson, a K-State signee. With a win, Bardstown can claim the top seed outright. However, they played NC the first two games last week, and already beat Lawson in G1 (the GW runs came by walkoff hit off of a reliever, to be fair, but they did get 2 runs off him and he left with the lead after six strong). NC is locked into the No. 4 seed and would face a Thomas Nelson team that is 0-12 in district play.

If Bardstown loses Monday, it's chaos, as that would mean a 3-way tie atop the standings with B'town, Washington Co. and Bethlehem all at 8-4. B'town beat WC in their series, and WC did the same to Bethlehem, who did the same to B'town. Which means some funky tiebreaker involving (I think) least runs allowed in district games comes into play. (5 teams, 12 total games)

Aside from all that, I've found the strategy of it all to be great in terms of how coaches manage their pitchers, and how they work for runs in close games.

Does your district do this? What's your impression of it? A good buddy of mine is a coach in the 4th Region and he loves it in their district.

I was about to say that I knew the 4th region does this..seems cool..I like it, and haven't really "seen" it.

They do it in whatever district South Laurel and Corbin is in (50th?), or at least they used to. Love it. Makes it more like college and is a good way to prep for regions.

If only the District winner went to Region, this would be a very good system. With both of them going, it might negatively impact the pitching options depending on the time between GM3 of District and GM1 of Region. Would hate to see a GM3 of a District tournament end up being contested by 2 teams with Frosh or JV arms on the bump to avoid burning an arm in a "meaningless" game before Region.

Assume the extra 2 potential games don't count against the max, so might be a good way to get an extra game or 2 in before Region.

If only the District winner went to Region, this would be a very good system. With both of them going, it might negatively impact the pitching options depending on the time between GM3 of District and GM1 of Region. Would hate to see a GM3 of a District tournament end up being contested by 2 teams with Frosh or JV arms on the bump to avoid burning an arm in a "meaningless" game before Region.

Assume the extra 2 potential games don't count against the max, so might be a good way to get an extra game or 2 in before Region.

They aren't playing a 3-game set in the tournament. They play three game sets with each other during the regular season. The district tournament is still single elimination with both champion and runner-up advancing to the region.

In a 4 team district, that is 9 regular season games. 5 team district = 12 games. I would not want to commit that many regular season games to District play.

Agreed, I think it is too much. However, if your school district has restrictions on how often/how far teams can travel, this is a good solution.

Most in the 1st region play their district games on back to back nights where the ace can't pitch every district game.

I'm seeing more and more of this. I believe it is a good method. I know our coach and at least one more in our district want to do this, but there has been some push back from some.

I believe the 14th district is the only one in the 4th Region that does it. When they did it years ago for the first time, I thought it was crazy, and I still think committing no less than 1/3 of your entire season to district play is overkill. But it does let the cream rise to the top and typically prevents tiebreakers.

I believe the 14th district is the only one in the 4th Region that does it. When they did it years ago for the first time, I thought it was crazy, and I still think committing no less than 1/3 of your entire season to district play is overkill. But it does let the cream rise to the top and typically prevents tiebreakers.

Ultimately, it pays to have pitching depth in this system, just like it does in a region tournament situation, and state tournament, if you're fortunate enough to get that far.

The oft-delayed Game 3 of the Bardstown-Nelson Co. series saw the Cardinals rally from 7-1 down to win 8-7 via walkoff hit. That forced a 3-way tie for first between Bardstown, Washington Co. and Bethlehem.

H-2-H first TB didn't work, and neither did game record between teams in the tie (all were 3-3). Came down to third level TB with the least runs allowed in games involving teams in the tie, which ended up with Bethlehem as the top seed.