NBA playoffs, do they need an overhaul?

The league office has to be going crazy due to the lack of playoff buzz. 25 of the 62 games have been single digit margins, the average winning margin has been 13. It's been a forgone conclusion the finals would come down to Cleveland and Golden State but is it too much to ask for some close games? I think it's time to ditch the conference format, take the top 16 and deal with the travel issues.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't watched many of the series. I have checked out some of the BOS/WAS series but other than that not much.

I'll watch more of the conference finals and then probably all of the finals assuming it's CLE/GS.

The league office has to be going crazy due to the lack of playoff buzz. 25 of the 62 games have been single digit margins, the average winning margin has been 13. It's been a forgone conclusion the finals would come down to Cleveland and Golden State but is it too much to ask for some close games? I think it's time to ditch the conference format, take the top 16 and deal with the travel issues.

Seeding like wouldn't have helped this year.

Seeding like wouldn't have helped this year.

Golden State vs Cleveland in the second round would be crazy but also not an ideal scenario for the TVs. I bet Cleveland wouldn't have benched their big three on the final night of the season.

Golden State/Chicago (GS 4-0)

Toronto/OKC (Toronto 4-3)

Cleveland/Memphis (Cleveland 4-0)

Boston/Milwaukee (Boston 4-3)

Houston/Indiana (Houston 4-1)

LAClippers/Atlanta (LAClippers 4-2)

Utah/Washington (Washington 4-2)

San Antonio/Portland (San Antonio 4-1)

I think the playoffs are fine as they are. This year and last year has shown that teams have some catching up to the Warriors and Cavs that they have to do.

Yep. I don't remember people crying when it was a foregone conclusion that either the Lakers or the Celtics were gonna win the title.

Love the idea but that isn't going to happen.

You said overhaul. I feel like this is far less radical than doing away with conferences.

The only thing I really would like to see done is moving games up an hour during the week. I just can't stay up for a 10:30pm tip.

I think the playoffs are fine as they are. This year and last year has shown that teams have some catching up to the Warriors and Cavs that they have to do.

We have one bad year or two and people want to change the format. I agree it needs to stay the same.

When you have power teams, and we do now for sure, aka G.State, Cleveland, with dominant guys this happens, I agree that the Celtics, Sixers, Rockets, Lakers were almost always in it in the 80's so I don't think a change is needed. However I do see some changes coming, free-agency and draft picks for teams will make a difference. Boston has a chance to be really good with the picks they have this year.

When you have power teams, and we do now for sure, aka G.State, Cleveland, with dominant guys this happens, I agree that the Celtics, Sixers, Rockets, Lakers were almost always in it in the 80's so I don't think a change is needed. However I do see some changes coming, free-agency and draft picks for teams will make a difference. Boston has a chance to be really good with the picks they have this year.

Agreed. LeBron is playing his best ball I have seen him play as KI and Love approach their primes. Golden State has KD, Curry, Klay and Draymond all pretty much in their prime. It's going to take some players and teams making some big choices in the near future and I look forward to watching teams do what it takes to catch the Cavs and Warriors. They all have work to do but it can be done. I can't wait to see who makes the right choices first. Boston is in a good spot and I think Washington is too. Both teams seem one player away.

Don't change them, maybe cut first round to best of 5.

This was my initial thought as well. Could you have imagined the drama of that Celtics/Bulls series if Boston had played all those games just one game from being out? Even though Chicago was neutered without Rondo. Every single East series other than Cleveland/Indiana went to a 2-2 tie, which would have set up three winner-take-all scenarios. Drama at its best. Even Spurs/Grizzlies and Clippers/Jazz went to 2-2 ties. Only one of those series went to seven games.