Best area to stay in Indianapolis?

woodsrider

My wife and I are planning to go to Indy for a night in a couple of weeks and wondering about the best area to stay. I don't know much about Indy and would want to stay where we are walking distance to good restaurants and bars. Also in a safe area for walking around. Any suggestions?

We always stay at the Hampton Inn Circle Centre when going to Pacers games. Within walking distance of Banker's Life Fieldhouse and numerous restaurants and bars downtown, have brought kids many times as well and always felt safe there.

Went about 4 years ago for a weekend and stayed at the downtown Hyatt. Was a 5-10 minute walk to everything and they had a really neat (pricey, but neat) revolving restaurant on the top of the hotel.

Booked it through priceline at a very reasonable rate IMO.

Edited by UKMustangFan

Downtown Indy is awesome. Stay anyhwere near the circle.

Completely agree with this. Was there for my Bachelor Party in October and we walked everywhere.

I will say. Don't take a truck though. You might not have the the tailgate when you get back to it.

Any restaurant suggestions? I know St Elmo's is down there and have heard good things about that.

Overrated. Tons of cool restaurants, if you want a steak House there are many to choose from.

The shrimp cocktail is legit!

Pretty much any hotel near the circle is connected by skyway to everything else. Check trivago or any of the discounters then check the hotel you choose website. I love Palomino for upscale. Scotty brewhouse for sports bar. Champs is ok too. Walk Georgia street and market street for the fieldhouse and Lucas oil. Better yet take a carriage ride. Downtown is safe as long as you don't get foolish. The state museums along the canal are good. Victory field for AA A baseball and you won't need your car until you leave.