2017 Preakness Stakes

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am agreeing with all the posts above. I went with Classic Empire and Looking at Lee in the Derby. Neither were bad choices, but CE had a real rough trip. I would like to see another race between these horses to form a different opinion. minidoomer2 went heavy with Battle of Midway and combined with Lookin at Lee. He won a couple of dollars.

Preakness odds, contenders

Horse Odds

Always Dreaming 1/1

Classic Empire 3/1

Lookin at Lee 9/1

Battle of Midway 12/1

Conquest Mo Money 12/1

Gunnevera 12/1

Irish War Cry 12/1

Cloud Computing 16/1

Practical Joke 16/1

Royal Mo 16/1

Malagacy 18/1

Multiplier 18/1

Senior Investment 18/1

Girvin 20/1

Hence 20/1

Term of Art 20/1

(as of May 12)

I am agreeing with all the posts above. I went with Classic Empire and Looking at Lee in the Derby. Neither were bad choices, but CE had a real rough trip. I would like to see another race between these horses to form a different opinion. minidoomer2 went heavy with Battle of Midway and combined with Lookin at Lee. He won a couple of dollars.

To have fought his way back to fourth after that tough start and first furlong, Classic Empire looks like a good choice to do what Afleet Alex did. I don't know that it would be wise for Always Dreaming's handlers to send him out to the front with an early pace that figures to be just as hot as the Derby's was.

Just a sidenote:

Saw a real good horse Saturday running only his second race at Santa Anita - 7 furlongs. My horse Cistron (very minority share) had a career best 90 Beyer and got blown away in the stretch by Armsrunner who posted a 103 and coasted in. Almost as good as Classic Empire's 105. I am wondering when I will see him again.

Latest News

Preakness Candidate Transported to New Bolton Center

BALTIMORE – Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moss’ Royal Mo was transported to the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine’s New Bolton Center Sunday morning after sustaining a fracture of the inside right front sesamoid bone at Pimlico Race Course.

A candidate for next Saturday’s 142nd Preakness Stakes (G1), Royal Mo was pulled up at the top of the stretch by jockey Gary Stevens during a scheduled five-furlong workout. His stricken leg equipped with a boot, Uncle Mo was vanned back to the Preakness Stakes Barn, where X-rays revealed the injury.

“There isn’t any other damage, so that’s a very good thing for him,” trainer John Shirreffs said following the departure of the van taking the 3-year-old son of Uncle Mo to the internationally renowned New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa. for further evaluation and treatment.

Stevens, who had taken a red-eye flight from Southern California Sunday morning to ride Royal Mo in his scheduled final serious preparation for the Preakness, said he heard a ‘pop’ turning into the stretch while racing outside a workmate.

“He was going better than he was [in his workout] before the Santa Anita Derby. I was getting goosebumps down my neck. As we were rounding into the stretch, I was thinking how much I was going to let him gallop out,” Stevens said. “Thankfully, when he went, I had a hold of him. He looked out for me and I looked out for him. He pulled himself up.

“He was loving the racetrack. He was getting over it nice. I wanted to make sure that everyone knew that the track was perfect,” Stevens added. “It’s just one of those deals.”

Royal Mo, who captured the Robert Lewis (G3) and finished third in the Santa Anita Derby (G1), had topped the also-eligible for the Kentucky Derby (G1) at Churchill Downs May 6. When Royal Mo failed to draw into the 20-horse field, Shirreffs immediately targeted the Pimlico’s Middle Jewel of the Triple Crown.

“It’s very difficult. Our hopes and dreams were with Royal Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Moss and my wife, Dottie, were excited to see him run. We’re all obviously devastated,” Shirreffs said.

Royal Mo Sustains Injury during Sunday Morning Workout | 2