Did you ever...

Jumper_Dad

Have you ever used a REAL outhouse?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever used a REAL outhouse?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandpa on my dad's side had only one of these to use until sometime in the mid 70's

My great grandpa on my mom's side had an outhouse as his only option until he passed away in 1990...even though his grown children numerous times offered to install modern facilities in his house, he always refused.

I have, but not because I'm that old lol. Friend of mine's parents built a hunting/fishing cabin in Virginia. It had running water and a shower, but no sewer or septic system so the toilet was in an outhouse. Had a lot of good times at that cabin.

Only a few times that I can recall with the last being in 2011 when I stayed in a cabin by a lake in Northern Wisconsin dodging deer ticks and Bears.

Beautiful place though with awesome trees, brilliant starry sky, and the freshest air that I have ever breathed. Heard the cry of the loon for the first time in my life as one was gliding around the lake that I was on, and saw numerous wild birds that I never have before while canoeing on the St. Croix River.

About 20 years ago I rented a log cabin for a night somewhere near Williamstown, Ky.

Only other time that I can recall is when I was about 10 when visiting with a friend his older brother and wife who lived in a farm house somewhere in rural Ohio.

Yes. My grandparents in both sides of my family had them. My mom's parents had cistern water, and to conserve, even after having a bathroom installed, no one was allowed to use the bathroom unless sick, and you'd better be really sick

My dad's parents didn't have running water at all. They used a wood cook stove, wood heat and we hauled water by the bucket from the spring. It was the best water ever....but I digress....they had an outhouse.