Most Memorable Homeruns- What Tops Your List???

There's been a plethora of big homers in baseball history. What homerun stands out most in your mind?

I'll start with a few and you can take it from there.

Mazeroski- Wins the '60 Series for the Bucs.

Bobby Thompson - "The Giants win the Pennant; the Giants win the Pennant."

Kirk Gibson - "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."

And, one that I remember well:

"What a marvelous moment for baseball. What a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia. What a marvelous moment for the country and the world . A black man is getting a standing ovation in the deep South for breaking the record of an all-time baseball idol."-- Vin Scully

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people remember Aaron breaking Ruth but what about Hank tying Ruth's record off Jack Billingham in Riverfront:

The great Milo Hamilton on the call:

I was in Biology class at Mason County high school and our teacher let us watch the game.

1972 NLCS: Reds v. Pirates, game 5. Bottom of the ninth, Reds down 2-1. Johnny Bench HR to tie the game. Reds go to World Series on a later wild pitch.

Boy begins listening to the game on the radio with grade school class. School bus ride midgame; torture. Home, listening to Al Michaels, and boy practices serious intercessory prayer. Bench homers. Two outs later, Foster scores on a wild pitch. Reds win. Boy convinced of divine intervention. :wideyed:

Edited by Runcible Owl

Of the ones that I was watching when they happened.

Kirk Gibson off of Dennis Eckersley walk off in the 88 Series.

Eric Davis in Game 1 in the 90 Series. It really set the tone for the Reds sweep.

David Ortiz walk off in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS to start off the epic comeback vs the Yankees. I was so excited when that happened and had been so frustrated that I jumped up from my recliner and swung my Red Sox bat in my living room. The bat slipped our of my hand and lodged barrel- first in the wall. I left it there and went to bed. The next day I decided to leave it there for luck. The Sox won again and I decided not to take it down until they lost. It remained in my wall until the next April.

David Ortiz game tying grand slam in Game 2 of the 2013 ALCS that flipped Torii Hunter into the Red Sox bullpen and changed the momentum of that series.