Stay Classy Fenway

Adam Jones Showered with Racial Slurs, Peanuts at Fenway

“Tonight was one of the worst,’’ Jones said, slowly exhaling, “it’s different. Very unfortunate. It is what it is, right. I just go out and play baseball.

“But it’s unfortunate that people need to resort to those type of epithets to degrade another human being. I’m out there trying to make a living for myself and for my family.

“The best thing about myself is that I know how to continue to move on, and still play the game hard. Let people be who they are. Let them show their true colors.’’

Jones, one of just 62 African-Americans on opening-day rosters, also had a bag of peanuts thrown at him in the dugout. He immediately informed security, and the person was caught, and ejected from the ballpark, Red Sox officials confirmed.

50-60 ejections on a Monday night? That seems absurdly high.

Do you agree with Jones? Should penalties be stiffer for ejections from the ballpark?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Jones Showered with Racial Slurs, Peanuts at Fenway

“Tonight was one of the worst,’’ Jones said, slowly exhaling, “it’s different. Very unfortunate. It is what it is, right. I just go out and play baseball.

“But it’s unfortunate that people need to resort to those type of epithets to degrade another human being. I’m out there trying to make a living for myself and for my family.

“The best thing about myself is that I know how to continue to move on, and still play the game hard. Let people be who they are. Let them show their true colors.’’

Jones, one of just 62 African-Americans on opening-day rosters, also had a bag of peanuts thrown at him in the dugout. He immediately informed security, and the person was caught, and ejected from the ballpark, Red Sox officials confirmed.

50-60 ejections on a Monday night? That seems absurdly high.

Do you agree with Jones? Should penalties be stiffer for ejections from the ballpark?

Not really sure what else you can do aside from ejecting and banning if they are only saying stuff. It's not against the law to be a knucklehead. Now if your throwing objects at someone, I can see elevating things and charging them with something like assault.

Is this a daily occurrence for all black players while in Boston or did Adam Jones do something in their minds to incur this wrath? If it happens with such frequency, why isn't MLB doing something about it?!

BTW - only 62? That sounds extremely low based on my observations.

Black + Latino combined is roughly 40% of the league. (8% black, 32% Latino)

White is about 55%

Other is about 5%

Those are rough numbers but I was just looking at a diversity report from 2016.

They would be considered Latino though wouldn't they?

They would. I've never heard of any further breakdown of Latino players other than by country (Dominican, Mexican, Venezuelan, etc.), so I'm not sure if those players are classified by skin color like white/black American players are.

Just heard something on Outside the Lines that surprised me...that Boston didn't sign a black free agent until 1992.

That's probably true. They were the last team to integrate, not signing/playing a black player until 1959, twelve years after Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers.

What's also ridiculous is that people sit idly by and allow this type of behavior to happen. If you hear someone shouting racial slurs at another person, how do you not confront them or at the very least call a security guard or usher over to complain. If more people spoke up when this type of behavior happened, maybe we'd have less and less of this crap. Don't just sit there being uncomfortable; make that jerk the uncomfortable one.

What's also ridiculous is that people sit idly by and allow this type of behavior to happen. If you hear someone shouting racial slurs at another person, how do you not confront them or at the very least call a security guard or usher over to complain. If more people spoke up when this type of behavior happened, maybe we'd have less and less of this crap. Don't just sit there being uncomfortable; make that jerk the uncomfortable one.

Exactly. When people sit by and say nothing they are just as guilty, IMO.