Louisville Power Rankings - Offseason Discussion

How do you think these final power rankings compare to the way they pre-season power rankings should look come 2017?

Will there be any big moves up or down by any of the teams on the list?

What players do you see being mentioned in 2017 when it comes to Louisville players of the week?

Here's a look back at the final Louisville Power Rankings from last season, issued on November 3rd, 2016:

Final Louisville Power Rankings 11-03-16 - Sponsored by Get in the game with Game On WBKI

1. Trinity (10-0)

2. St. Xavier (7-3)

3. Male (8-2)

4. Dupont Manual (8-2)

5. Christian Academy of Louisville (9-1)

6. St. Francis DeSales (8-2)

7. Pleasure Ridge Park (6-4)

8. Bardstown (9-1)

9. Ballard (7-3)

10. South Oldham (9-1)

Honorable Mention - Fern Creek (8-2)

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Thanks for doing this CWB!

Couple things:

1. Think Manual graduates alot of their best players. Who will fill those shoes? Think 4 is probably too high for them even though I like them alot.

2. PRP lost their coach, but elevated their DCoordinator I believe and they have senior leadership in their skill spots and think they will be a tough out. Can't wait till they host BG early in the year!

3. Think Bardstown graduated a ton! Don't think they will be that high this season.

4. Ballard changed coaches, not sure what to expect.

5. South Oldham was "very" young last year and went to the semi's in 5-A. Think they return alot.

6. Fern Creek graduated some fine players. Who will take over Kyree Hawkins production on both sides of the ball?

7. Watch out for Doss! They are the real deal in 5A, get a favorable playoff bracket and can go a long way this year!

Louisville Central is the X-factor

Had Scroggins stayed I would say they would easily be a Top 10 team with the young talent and experience they return.

With the new coach being an unknown commodity I honestly don't know what to expect.

1. Some teams on that list seem to just reload (Trinity, St X and Male).

2. Some others have lost a lot and will be question marks to me as to just how good they turn out. Fern Creek, Bardstown and Manual come to mind. CAL also lost a very strong senior class, especially some lineman, that contributed to a championship. Will be interesting to see who steps up for them to fill those spots. Not sure about DeSales and what they return.

And then there will be teams like Doss who bring back a strong group and who have added some new players. I believe they could be a top ten team depending on how well they come together. I am sure you have other schools out there like Doss that will pop up.

You also have so many coaching changes it is hard to predict how that will turn

out for those schools.

I think its going to be a very different kind of year for Louisville area football.

What does it say that Doss had all those D-IA guys on the field last year and didn't win with them?

Weren't those players young last year and are coming back this year?

Last year they finished 6-6 and their losses were to South Oldham, PRP, Butler, Fern Creek, Ballard and Covington Catholic.

What does it say that Doss had all those D-IA guys on the field last year and didn't win with them?

It says a couple things. First, they were young, which makes a difference in close games. This came to light in the 4 games against Fern Creek and South Oldham, who were both in semi finals and Butler amd Ballard. Doss had the lead in all those games late and gave then up. Secondly, no senior leadership. Doss has had low numbers in their senior classes the past three years. They will have 21 seniors and 20 juniors in 2017. Thirdly, D1 ability doesnt guarantee to translate to wins. Lastly, their coach just might not be good enough to win. They will be a tough out in 17 regardless.

Trinity should remain the cream of the crop. T, Male and X all have to season a new quarterback this offseason. As mentioned, these teams reload. Manual lost a ton but have a bunch of the Newburg Tiger middle school state champs coming in. A lot of talent but will be really young. Can't imagine the Crimsons rely heavily on freshmen. Waggener and Doss are the most talented teams not in 6-A. Don't sleep on PRP or Central in their respective districts.