2017 Bengal Draft Grades

I thought the Bengals had as good draft as any team in the league. Taking receiver John Ross with the ninth pick is a bit of a risk, but you can't coach speed. They took a different type of risk with Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon in the second round, but the kid is the best runner in the draft. They clearly looked past the assault video to take him. They then landed two good pass rushers in Kansas State Jordan Willis and Auburn's Carl Lawson, two players who will compete to start at right end. Fourth-round receiver Josh Malone from Tennessee can fly. There are some risks here, but I think they will pay off big.

Grade: A

Prisco's NFL Draft Grades for all 32 teams: Five earn 'A's and two fall short with 'D's - CBSSports.com

Cincinnati Bengals D-

Draft picks: Washington WR John Ross, Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon, Kansas State DE Jordan Willis, Auburn DE Carl Lawson, Tennessee WR Josh Malone, Michigan DT Ryan Glasgow, Memphis K Jake Elliott, Utah C J.J. Dielman, Oklahoma LB Jordan Evans, Houston CB/RB Brandon Wilson, Buffalo TE Mason Schreck

The best thing to say about the rebuilding Bengals is that Glasgow is a good value ... out of 11 picks. Ross was a reach, and Lawson was a free-faller. Both come in with durability issues. Willis is better suited to be a 3-4 edge rusher. They didn’t need a second wideout in Malone, either, and Elliott was taken too early.

About Mixon: For a non-glaring need because of Jeremy Hill and a recovering Giovani Bernard, he’s not worth that kind of backfield risk in the second round. The backlash is bound to make that pick backfire. Between Mixon, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals are unrelenting in ignoring controversy.

NFL Draft grades: Browns, 49ers top class; Raiders, Bengals get schooled | NFL | Sporting News

The Bengals get an A- from me. I like the Ross, Mixon, and Willis pick. Those 3 are fantastic IMO. The rest of the draft was just ok. I think they are more sold on Ogbeuhi and Fisher more than we as fans are so we'll see on that. But I think they got 3 first rounder caliber players in the draft and didn't have to mortgage the future to do it.

Cincinnati Bengals D-

Draft picks: Washington WR John Ross, Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon, Kansas State DE Jordan Willis, Auburn DE Carl Lawson, Tennessee WR Josh Malone, Michigan DT Ryan Glasgow, Memphis K Jake Elliott, Utah C J.J. Dielman, Oklahoma LB Jordan Evans, Houston CB/RB Brandon Wilson, Buffalo TE Mason Schreck

The best thing to say about the rebuilding Bengals is that Glasgow is a good value ... out of 11 picks. Ross was a reach, and Lawson was a free-faller. Both come in with durability issues. Willis is better suited to be a 3-4 edge rusher. They didn’t need a second wideout in Malone, either, and Elliott was taken too early.

About Mixon: For a non-glaring need because of Jeremy Hill and a recovering Giovani Bernard, he’s not worth that kind of backfield risk in the second round. The backlash is bound to make that pick backfire. Between Mixon, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals are unrelenting in ignoring controversy.

NFL Draft grades: Browns, 49ers top class; Raiders, Bengals get schooled | NFL | Sporting News

I lean more to this grade than i do an A, but not because Ross and Mixon aren't talented and probably will make a difference, but thought they needed immediate help on the OL and would have went OJ Howard in Round 1 and the Kid from Western Kentucky in Round 2. Could have gotten a good RB later(Kamara comes to mind and others). Like the choices of Willis and Lawson in those rounds, but still could have gotten Elliott or the actual best kicker in the draft from ASU later. They obviously are happy with the OL as is and with PacMan by the decisions they made. C+

Here are the grades by various people for the Bengals:

SB Nation grade: B-

CBS Sports: A

USA Today: B

Sports Illustrated: A-

Washington Post: C-

NFL draft grades 217: Compiling grades for the entire draft - SBNation.com

Congratulations to footballforever on finding someone who gives the Bengals a really low rating. He probably spent hours looking for that to validate his hate the Bengals viewpoint.

Took five seconds really.

Nobody knows. I just want someone to make kicks. We lost or tied enough games from Nugent and Bullock to make the playoffs.

The kicker from ASU made more kicks than anyone in history it said and was 6 of 9 from 50 yards plus, including a 59 yarder. The Browns got a weapon, we got the Nugent 2.0 version before he got the yips. Someone not bad, but not someone who was a weapon.

I lean more to this grade than i do an A, but not because Ross and Mixon aren't talented and probably will make a difference, but thought they needed immediate help on the OL and would have went OJ Howard in Round 1 and the Kid from Western Kentucky in Round 2. Could have gotten a good RB later(Kamara comes to mind and others). Like the choices of Willis and Lawson in those rounds, but still could have gotten Elliott or the actual best kicker in the draft from ASU later. They obviously are happy with the OL as is and with PacMan by the decisions they made. C+

Well kind of hard to get the WKU, considering he got picked before the Bengals 2nd pick. The Bengals would have had to trade up to get him. Which with what teams had to give up to move up. We probably lose our 3rd or 4th rounder.

Not only that Lamp probably wouldn't have started anyways this year. Andre Smith is going to the be starting RG even if they drafted Lamp. So we would have drafted a guy who wouldn't have contributed this year. We have had enough of that the last few years. We got guys this year, who should be able to contribute right away as long as they are healthy.

I get peoples concerns about the line and not drafting lineman. This was a weak draft class for the o line though. Drafting one doesn't mean they would be good. Shoot we just drafted a first and second round tackle and as we have seen they didn't contribute right away. Hopefully by year 3 now they have learned enough to help.

I look at this like in 2013. Everyone was screaming and yelling how the Bengals didn't draft any wrs in the 2013 draft and didn't go out and sign any top free agent wrs. Sanu and Jones didn't really show much their rookie years in 2012, with a combined 18 catches I believe. Yet the coaches seemed to know something most didn't know and were confident enough in Jones and Sanu to have them be the guys with Green. Which we seen they made the right decision and Jones and Sanu was really good.

Also in 2009 after the line was horrible in 2008. They went with 3 first year starters and the line ended up being very good.

So I will say this when people do seem to think the Bengals will be bad at a spot and didn't do much to change it. They have usually ended up better than thought. It's when the Bengals have high expectations when they seem to falter. Which is a problem though too.

The kicker from ASU made more kicks than anyone in history it said and was 6 of 9 from 50 yards plus, including a 59 yarder. The Browns got a weapon, we got the Nugent 2.0 version before he got the yips. Someone not bad, but not someone who was a weapon.

I know you put more value in over 50, I do not. I want the kicks made they are supposed to. Starting with those under 40.

I know you put more value in over 50, I do not. I want the kicks made they are supposed to. Starting with those under 40.

In today's NFL most kickers already make it from under 40. Well the majority of them do. In fact Nugent was even good at that until last year. However he didn't add another dimension at all to this team with his weak leg and inability to make it over 50. Maybe you don't value 8 yards as much as I do. However not being forced to have to go usually 8 more yards to be in comfortable field goal range is huge imo. Before Nugent got the bad case of the shanks last year I wanted him gone, so it's still no different now.

In fact Darrin Simmons even said it wasn't because this guy was a better field goal kicker than the ASU guy. He said this guy got the nod because he was a little better on kickoffs. While kickoffs are also important. If that was the only small difference. Then give me the guy with the stronger leg who is also just as accurate.

With all that said there is going to be a competition. So who knows one of those other 2 guys could win the job, because they still have the kicker from UL they signed last year who got hurt.

On the plus side if kicker is the only problem I have with the draft. That means they had a pretty good draft lol.