Buccaneers 27 Eagles 10

I was watching a video on Youtube about Black Monday. When it ended, I noticed the replay of the 2002 NFC Championship Game displayed in the right hand panel. I don't think I had seen that game since it was played, so I watched.

Eagle fans refer to the game as Black Sunday.

Philadelphia, the #1 sead, was heavily favored.

Even though Tampa Bay had the #1 ranked defense in the league, the Bucs had never won a road playoff game. They were 1-22 when the temperature at game time was less than 40 degrees, it was 24 that day. They had lost to the Eagles 4 consecutive times, including wild card games in the previous 2 seasons and earlier that season in Philly. The Eagles had the #4 offense in the league and the #2 defense.

It looked like another Philly romp when Brian Mitchell returned the opening kickoff to the TB 26 and Duce Staley ran it in from the 20 with less than a minute gone in the game. Watching, I was reminded of the "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSS" from the Philly fans. If they only knew what was coming.

The Bucs D shutdown the Eagles from that point forward. Tampa Bay outscored Philadelphia 27-3 the rest of the way. The final blow, a 92 yard pick 6 by Ronde Barber with the Eagles on the TB 10 and less than 4 minutes to go.

It was the final game at Veteran's Stadium.

Nice trip down memory lane for me.