Are you ready for the Singularity - Elon Musk thinks it can start in 4 years

theguru

Elon Musk Outlines His Mission to Link Human Brains With Computers in 4 Years

Tesla (TSLA, +0.42%) founder and Chief Executive Elon Musk said his latest company Neuralink Corp is working to link the human brain with a machine interface by creating micron-sized devices.

Neuralink is aiming to bring to the market a product that helps with certain severe brain injuries due to stroke, cancer lesion, etc, in about four years, Musk said in an interview with website Wait But Why.

"If I were to communicate a concept to you, you would essentially engage in consensual telepathy," Musk said in the interview published on Thursday.

In March, the Wall Street Journal reported that Musk had launched a company through which computers could merge with human brains. Neuralink was registered in California as a "medical research" company last July, and he plans on funding the company mostly by himself.

Elon Musk'''s Neuralink: Linking Human Brains with Computers | Fortune.com

Why? Why do we want technology to take over our lives? What's the point of living if you are going to turn yourself into a computer. I'm glad we have technology to help us and make life easier, but I don't want it to take over my life. This is going way beyond helping people for medical reasons.

Can someone dumb this down so people such as myself can understand it?

We humans are electrical systems, the goal is to integrate smart chips/tech with the human brain so that our brains can interface with technology and therefore each other and the Internet.

Once we make that leap, and I think it is decades off, the sky is the limit.

Additionally, we humans are either going to have to merge with technology or face extinction at the hands of ultra intelligent artificial beings.

Why? Why do we want technology to take over our lives? What's the point of living if you are going to turn yourself into a computer. I'm glad we have technology to help us and make life easier, but I don't want it to take over my life. This is going way beyond helping people for medical reasons.

Because we either keep pace with technology or we humans become vastly inferior in a short of amount of time.

Additionally, we humans are either going to have to merge with technology or face extinction at the hands of ultra intelligent artificial beings.

I don't buy that for a second. Quite the leap you're making IMO. You been watching the Terminator movies a little too much? :lol2: :D

I don't buy that for a second. Quite the leap you're making IMO. You been watching the Terminator movies a little too much? :lol2: :D

I know it is a laughing matter to some but at least I am in good company:

“And in the future, AI could develop a will of its own – a will that will conflict ours."

“In short, the rise of powerful AI will either be the best or the worst thing to ever happen to humanity."

“We do not yet know which.”

- Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking: AI could be the WORST thing that happened to humanity | Science | News | Express.co.uk

I know it is a laughing matter to some but at least I am in good company:

“And in the future, AI could develop a will of its own – a will that will conflict ours."

“In short, the rise of powerful AI will either be the best or the worst thing to ever happen to humanity."

“We do not yet know which.”

- Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking: AI could be the WORST thing that happened to humanity | Science | News | Express.co.uk

Just because he's smart, doesn't mean he can't be wrong.

Either way, we'll all be long gone before it would happen, so this doesn't even register as a blip on the radar for me.

If we dont get up to speed, and quickly, the aliens will overtake us easily.

If we dont get up to speed, and quickly, the aliens will overtake us easily.

If aliens wanted to "take us over" they would have done it long ago.

With that said, I suppose some hostile aliens could stumble upon us at anytime but I am not losing any sleep over it.

If aliens wanted to "take us over" they would have done it long ago.

With that said, I suppose some hostile aliens could stumble upon us at anytime but I am not losing any sleep over it.

At some point we will be a pawn in a multi alien war.

Just because he's smart, doesn't mean he can't be wrong.

Either way, we'll all be long gone before it would happen, so this doesn't even register as a blip on the radar for me.

Right, no one has all the answers, but throw Bill Gates, Steven Wozniak, and Elon Musk in that group too of smart guys that could be wrong about the emergence of Artificial Intelligence.

We humans are electrical systems, the goal is to integrate smart chips/tech with the human brain so that our brains can interface with technology and therefore each other and the Internet.

Once we make that leap, and I think it is decades off, the sky is the limit.

No thanks, I'm out. That sounds like a horrible life to me.