Elevator Etiquette/Discomfort

Clyde

A trend I've noticed over the last year or so regards elevators.

If I'm on an elevator with one other person and we're NOT having a conversation I often get a "have a good day" from the person when they exit.

Is it being polite? Or , my theory, is it mainly a "I've got to say something - this silence is killing me?"

Anyone else a)notice it or b)say it when exiting an elevator?

Elevator behavior has always made me laugh. People stand there and no one says anything. They just stare at the numbers, like something different is going to happen this time--like it'll go from 1 to 5 to 4 or something.

So I usually get on the elevator and go stand right next to someone just to make them feel uncomfortable.

Another note on elevator etiquette, does it drive anyone else a little crazy when the people waiting to get on the elevator rush the door when it opens and do not let the people exiting on that floor get off first?

If you ain't first you're last.

Elevator behavior has always made me laugh. People stand there and no one says anything. They just stare at the numbers, like something different is going to happen this time--like it'll go from 1 to 5 to 4 or something.

So I usually get on the elevator and go stand right next to someone just to make them feel uncomfortable.

Friend of mine in college and I used to do this routinely. Or stand in the corner and look into the corner instead of looking at anyone. Fun times.

Friend of mine in college and I used to do this routinely. Or stand in the corner and look into the corner instead of looking at anyone. Fun times.

If you really want to mess up a bunch of corporate zombies on a full elevator ride, instead of doing the accepted behavior and walking in and turning to face the door like everyone else, go ahead and don't turn around and stare right into their faces for the whole elevator ride. The uncomfortableness quotient will go through the roof. Especially if you start acting like you know everybody in there and start talking about the mythical party you saw each one of them at the night before.