Cooper guard Adam Kunkel's stock trending up

UNION, Ky. -- We first saw 2018 G Adam Kunkel play last spring with the 16U Kentucky Travelers and he impressed immediately. His ability to make shots and facilitate for teammates stood out against multiple talented teams on the Nike Circuit that weekend. His game has only improved since then.

The junior averaged 17 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists per game for a 31-5 team this past season and established himself among the very best Kentucky has to offer. Playing alongside Bellarmine commit Sean McNeil to form one of the best backcourts in the state of Kentucky, Cooper HS made a run to the state championship game. Not many people predicted them to make it that far but Kunkel’s play was a big reason why.

This shooter is fearless on the court, there is no opponent you can put in front of him where his confidence isn’t always high. He is a high IQ combo guard that can handle it well, has great court vision, and can score from all over. He is an absolute sniper with range, that needs little to no room to get shot off. Of the 200+ campers at our 2ND Annual Elite Exposure last June, Kunkel was one of the best shooters in the whole camp.

The guard has a few things to polish to improve his game, but most importantly, he needs to get physically stronger. “My individual goal for my senior year is to improve my body to where I am able to absorb contact and be more physically ready at the next level”, said Kunkel. Along with improving physically, if he defense improves, he will be a guy who wins a lot of games at the next level.

Kunkel currently holds offers Central Arkansas, Samford, Winthrop, and Lipscomb, to go along with interest from NKU, Belmont, Air Force, West Point, William & Mary, Kent State, Northeastern, Highpoint, USC Upstate, UNC Greensboro, & Boston. Mid-majors from all over the country will likely track him with Twenty Two Vision AAU, featuring elite recruit Romeo Langford, on the Adidas Gold circuit.

For more Adam Kunkel, stay tuned on NextUpRecruits.com

Midwest guard Adam Kunkel's stock trending up

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Lipscomb offer. Nice school. Nice city. Nice program.

Has he visited Winthrop, Samford, or C Arkansas yet?

He camped at Samford last year. Yes, this young man could really arrive this Spring. A true combo guard and probably a better 2 than 1 at this point. If he grew to 6'4" and added the strength mentioned he could be a Power 5 conference player and still may be anyway. Great kid as well.

From seeing him first hand numerous times, I know one thing about Adam, very few people will out work him. He is such a hard worker and really works on his game all the time. It was really neat to hear the stories about how him and Sean McNeil would go after each other in spring and summer open gyms. He is such a competitor! His size hurts him, which he knows, but if he could put on about 15 pounds of muscle before college someone is going to get a special ball player. I think playing for 22 Vision will only help him because of the exposure they are getting. They are being live streamed online for a game tomorrow night at 7:00 EST I don't remember the link though I'll try to find it.

From seeing him first hand numerous times, I know one thing about Adam, very few people will out work him. He is such a hard worker and really works on his game all the time. It was really neat to hear the stories about how him and Sean McNeil would go after each other in spring and summer open gyms. He is such a competitor! His size hurts him, which he knows, but if he could put on about 15 pounds of muscle before college someone is going to get a special ball player. I think playing for 22 Vision will only help him because of the exposure they are getting. They are being live streamed online for a game tomorrow night at 7:00 EST I don't remember the link though I'll try to find it.

Yes please, post the link. 22 Vision features #3 ranked in 2018 Romeo Langford vs a team from SC and #2 ranked 2018, Zion Williamson. Playing with Langford all summer will help Kunkel out tremendously

One thing in particular that I like about Kunkel's game other than his high IQ is his finesseful fearless ability to get to the rim. If he can build muscle that'll certainly be a plus at the next level, and thankfully with his body type he's not likely to bulk up too much because IMO a huge benefit of his lankiness is that it allows him to slither and slide into position and get away with it without too often drawing the charge.

One thing in particular that I like about Kunkel's game other than his high IQ is his finesseful fearless ability to get to the rim. If he can build muscle that'll certainly be a plus at the next level, and thankfully with his body type he's not likely to bulk up too much because IMO a huge benefit of his lankiness is that it allows him to slither and slide into position and get away with it without too often drawing the charge.

That "lankiness" may help in high school but it will be a challenge to overcome in college at the D1 level. He'll get bigger simply out of aging and he'll get bigger through a weight program. Colleges recruit skinny kids all the time and then get them bigger.

Yes please, post the link. 22 Vision features #3 ranked in 2018 Romeo Langford vs a team from SC and #2 ranked 2018, Zion Williamson. Playing with Langford all summer will help Kunkel out tremendously

PC's Dontaie Allen also plays for 22 Vision.

• 1 month later...