Did Umpire CB Bucknor Bet on the Braves Tonight?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it was Throwback Tuesday, because that sure looks like the strike calls Maddux and Glavine used to get in the 90's.

Hey, those guys proved they could consistently throw it three inches off the plate so you have to call it a strike! Lol

Brings up a related issue.

How soon will technology be able to accurately call balls and strikes?

I mentioned it a few weeks ago some where on here...HBO weekly sports show had a segment devoted to this. Technology was set up at a minor league game and worked great. Both hitters and pitchers as well as both managers loved it.

At this point it's just a matter of time, I think. Probably 10 years maybe less.

It's C B Bucknor. You didn't really expect him to be good at his job did you?

So after I posted this, I went to YouTube. There are literally hundreds of videos of CB Bucknor doing crazy stuff on there :lol2:

I'm well aware of who he is now.

Should already be happening. Umpires are not necessary.

You can't completely get rid of Ump's. There are still rules that need to be interpreted, and calls that cannot be automated, like balks, obstruction, etc. Fair and foul, out/safe also need to be called right away, and I can't think of a way to completely automate that in a way where the call gets done immediately and clearly so game flow doesn't get affected. To me, balls and strikes are the only part of the game that can be completely automated. Automating balls and strikes takes the most subjective and argued part of the game and standardizes it. And it should have already happened by now.