Fishing at St Augustine

jericho

We used to fish the St Johns river and would catch lots of cool stuff. Find a dock that extends far enough into the river and you're set. We would always fish high tide, using shrimp for bait. Sheepshead, Stingray, Croackers were plentiful. Dad even caught a 4 ft. Hammerhead. Tie a piece of chicken to a string, drop it in and crabs will be all over it. Loved it when I was younger.

I`ve talked to alot of locals who say fishing is great around Matanzas inlet. I`ve seen a ton of people fishing off the bridge there. It`s at Crescent beach. About 10 miles south of St. Augustine. We go down at least once every year. It`s somewhere that I could see myself spending winters in a few years. And I used to laugh at those old Geezers snowbirds. Now it doesn`t seem near as silly since i`m a junior geezer.

I just got back from fishing the St Johns 2 weeks ago. Fished below lake George. Lots of fish to be caught. The water temp 2 weeks ago was only 76. Perfect

Ive always heard the river north of Lake George is better. Can't attest to that but would love to test that theory

I just got back from fishing the St Johns 2 weeks ago. Fished below lake George. Lots of fish to be caught. The water temp 2 weeks ago was only 76. Perfect

Ive always heard the river north of Lake George is better. Can't attest to that but would love to test that theory

How about fishing off the beach?

How about shark fishing?

Best bait to use there?

How about fishing off the beach?

How about shark fishing?

Best bait to use there?

Hey, I received your DM and will be replying very soon. Was out of the loop with family over the weekend.

If you're going to shark fish (and land them), you're going to need a pretty big pole and at least 30-lb. test line. You can use a spinning reel, as long as it's one that can handle the line.

Sharks are the easiest fish of all to attract and hook...but it is a big job to land them. I'll post a picture and instructions later (at work right now), but you will need the proper hooks, leader and mono to actually land a bigger one.

It's not as complicated as it sounds but if you don't have the right equipment, you'll get to feel the fish for about 20 seconds before it frees itself. With the right equipment, you'll at least have a chance to fight it and wear it down.

As for bait, you are going to need some bait fish. The bigger the bait, the bigger the shark. You can fish with a small chunk of cut bait or a big piece of fresh shrimp and catch 18-24" sharks as long as you want to fool with them.

You can use a slab of cut bait about 4-6" wide and catch 4-6' sharks. You won't likely catch anything smaller and you might occasionally hook a bigger one.

You can use a huge chunk of cut bait (basically a large fish) and you will only hook big ones. It all depends on what you want to tackle and how patient you want to be.

I caught the shark in my profile picture with this bait, to give you an idea. That's a big piece of amber jack.

[ATTACH]61364[/ATTACH]

Chip used the same thing for me when I used him at HH. A huge bait fish caught a huge Lemon. We were lucky to get him.