What do you ACTUALLY think happens when we die?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think we literally stand before God for judgment? Trial style? What are your thoughts on what Heaven and Hell are like?

The Bible shapes my worldview. Just want to point that out before I answer so that you & others know where I'm coming from.

I believe when we die, the spirit departs from the body and goes to either Heaven or Hell. So we will know where we will spend eternity immediately after we die. The Day of Judgment does not occur until the return of Christ to the world, but those who have died will certainly already know where eternity will be spent. I believe the Judgment Day determines degrees of reward and severity of punishment for eternity.

As for what Heaven and Hell are like, it's impossible to fully know. Jesus spoke more about Hell than anyone else, and the language he used was pretty severe. We're told about fire, blackest darkness, weeping and gnashing of teeth, etc. But I think probably the best description of Hell is that God is wholly absent. Even as bad as this present world can sometimes be, there is still much beauty and wonder to enjoy. Hell will have nothing of that because it's a place God has set aside and totally removed Himself from it. So by definition, I would say that Hell is a 100% Godless place.

As for Heaven, again, it's hard to know precisely. Much is purposefully left to the imagination, as far as what the Bible describes. The most important aspect from my perspective is the presence of God, of Christ, then also the complete absence of pain and heartache. Streets of gold, gates of pearl, etc. are described in Revelation. Whether that's literally true or not doesn't matter to me. It will be a place of unending perfection and bliss.

I hope that answers your questions. And thanks for asking. :thumb:

If there is a heaven I win.

If there isn't I win.

For some.

If there is a heaven you lose.

If there isn't a heaven you win.

I'm in a win win.

What if there is a God and when you die you discover you chose the wrong one, that it was actually one from one of the other multitude of different world religions? Then instead of a "win-win" it would be a lose-lose.

Just something to ponder. All faiths feel theirs is the correct one.