Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney dies

Stealing from Reddit but here are player reactions

Antonio Brown:

When we first met in 2010 you embraced me with open arms. You made me feel welcome. You looked at me as more than just another jersey number. One of the most genuine, and humble human beings I've had the pleasure of knowing. You motivated me not only to excel on the field but also in life. This season, the number 84 on my uniform will represent the 84 years you spent on this earth making an impact on the lives of others. I'll miss you my friend. Thank you for everything -AB

Troy Polamalu:

We've lost the heart & soul of Steeler Nation. Incredible person humanitarian & true patriot. May his memory be eternal. Love U PapaRooney

Hines Ward:

The world and the NFL lost a legend and a leader today. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Rooney family. Thanks for teaching me the art of the handshake and how important it was to give back to the community. I’m so THANKFUL to you for giving me an opportunity to wear the black and gold. You were not afraid to lead by example. You were an innovator who paved the way for many of us and for the world. I am FOREVER GRATEFUL TO YOU, PAPA ROONEY! I’m sorry I never got to take that airplane ride up to Latrobe with you. You will be FOREVER missed!

Jerome Bettis:

Words cannot express my sadness at this time but I feel so blessed to have known such a wonderful man.

Brett Keisel:

A privilege and honor to play for you Boss Man. My life, and so many others, are better because of your influence. You were always there...

James Farrior:

Sad day in steeler nation. Prayers up for the Rooney family

Bill Cowher:

RIP Dan. My Mentor & friend. Thank you for your Guidance & Wisdom. I came a Young Coach & left a Better Man. Your spirit will live forever.

Cam Heyward:

Thank u Mr. Rooney! Your legacy will go on. Ive been blessed 2 have the opportunity 2 know & speak w/ u. Steelers would not b the same w/o u

Ryan Shazier:

R.I.P. To Mr. Rooney. Thank you for all the knowledge you gave and support. You will always be in my heart.

Ramon Foster:

Sad day for anyone who's ever ran into Mr. Rooney. What a guy! He will truly be missed. He was the Steelers and Pittsburgh.

Max Starks:

Rest in heaven Mr. Rooney. You were a remarkable man. Thank you for always taking time to talk with me, and ask about my family.

Joe Greene, on discussing the last time he talked to Rooney:

“He was in a facility in Green Tree,” Greene said, pausing often to collect himself. “He recognized me then. He didn’t say anything. He was very weak."

“I just ... phew” — Greene halted, fought through tears and urged his baritone voice to continue — “tried to tell him how important he was in my life.”

"I don’t know what kind of impressions that one might have about ownership in the National Football League. I don’t know what kind of impression I had prior to coming to Pittsburgh, but having met Mr. Rooney, Art Sr. and Dan, all I can think of are positive things, good things, you know? Not a negative thought ever crosses my mind.”

And not Steeler, but....

Dan Marino:

Mr. Rooney meant so much to the city of Pittsburgh & NFL. Thank you for all that u have done. I'm honored to have called you my friend.

Barack Obama:

[He was] a great friend of mine, but more importantly, he was a great friend to the people of Pittsburgh."

Tony Dungy

Very sad day for me hearing of the passing of Dan Rooney. Dan was just special. I was blessed to get to know him and blessed to be a Steeler