2017 US Open Cup

Getslow

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open Cup officially starts tonight.

First match of the tournament features the South Florida Surf of the Premier Development League taking on Red Force FC of the American Premier Soccer League. It's the only game tonight but will be streamed live on ussoccer.com.

All other first round games are tomorrow.

The first crop of professional teams join the tournament next week with both USL and NASL teams entering in the Second Round. MLS will be last, coming in at the fourth round in June.

Ugh. Derby City Rovers lose after penalty kicks, so Louisville City will travel to Pittsburgh to play Tartan Devils Oak Avalon on May 17.

AFC Cleveland scored twice in the closing minutes to beat the Des Moines Menace. Cleveland will play at FC Cincinnati on Wednesday in the second round.

Third Round Pairings announced.

If FC Cincinnati (USL) beats AFC Cleveland (NPSL), they'll host the winner of Louisville City FC (USL) and Tartan Devils Oak Avalon (USASA) on May 31.

If AFC Cleveland wins, they'll host the game.

Djiby Fall makes a special appearance in the middle of his league suspension to play for FC Cincinnati in the Open Cup... and he nets the game-winner in extra time. 115th minute. FC Cincinnati beats AFC Cleveland 1-0 to advance to the third round.

Meanwhile, Louisville City FC trounced Tartan Devils Oak Avalon 9-0 to set up a special edition of the Dirty River Derby.

Louisville at Cincinnati on May 31 in the third round.

This week in giant killings, four amateur teams beat professional sides in last night's second round games.

Reading United FC (PDL) 3:2 NY Cosmos (NASL)

Chicago FC United 3:1 Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL)

Christos FC (USASA) 1:0 Richmond Kickers (USL)

Michigan Bucks (PDL) 1:0 Indy Eleven (NASL)

Coin flip for fourth round hosts today.

As if this third round matchup needed any more thunder...

Also at stake on May 31: winner of Louisville and Cincinnati will host MLS side Columbus Crew on June 14 in the fourth round.

Coin flip for fourth round hosts today.

As if this third round matchup needed any more thunder...

Also at stake on May 31: winner of Louisville and Cincinnati will host MLS side Columbus Crew on June 14 in the fourth round.

Not sure what the turnout would be in Louisville for this (potential) match, but I predict a bigger crowd in Cincinnati than what they drew for Crystal Palace. It could be epic.

Not sure what the turnout would be in Louisville for this (potential) match, but I predict a bigger crowd in Cincinnati than what they drew for Crystal Palace. It could be epic.

Greater Cincinnati has about a million more people in it than Greater Louisville so the crowd will be... likely considerably larger.

I would think the fact that school will be over by the time the fourth round gets going will help in either location. Midweek games in April/May can be tricky on attendance.

Greater Cincinnati has about a million more people in it than Greater Louisville so the crowd will be... likely considerably larger.

I guess I should have said "a crowd in Cincinnati bigger than what FC Cincinnati drew for Crystal Palace". Not intended to be a knock on Louisville.

I guess I should have said "a crowd in Cincinnati bigger than what FC Cincinnati drew for Crystal Palace". Not intended to be a knock on Louisville.

I was at the match back in April. Very jealous of the setup FCC has at Nippert. Easy to see how they draw in so many. Do a great job bringing folks in and makes them want to come back.

It'll be nice when they can play play on real grass, but I'll miss games at Nippert when/if they get a facility all their own.

• 2 weeks later...

FC Cincinnati hosts LouCity tonight at Nippert. Anyone going?

LouCity has to be the favorite, but this will be the first game that Fall and Konig play together. Both up top? Does Dacres lose his spot?

Who ya got?! Winner gets Columbus Crew.

I don't know, a full-strength Cincinnati is a dangerous foe. Especially at home.

Really wish USSF could shift these US Open Cup dates to the weekend, but that's just gripes because I can't travel during the week.

I look for this to be another evenly matched game. If Louisville can score early like in April, they can do this. If it's still scoreless late on, I'm guessing Cincinnati is the team that nets the winner.

Djiby Fall is my least favorite athlete since Patrick Sparks. Ugh.

Louisville's midfield was just rotten tonight and the whole plan went out the window when Spencer had to leave the game 15 minutes in.

Gross.

Louisville really needs to regroup ahead of a tough stretch of three league games in 8 days coming up.

Good luck to FCC against the Crew next month... I guess.