Duvall and Suarez

I really like this Reds' tandem. Both of these guys have dynamite in their lumber. We acquired Duvall for Leake and Suarez for a big fat bowl of pasta. I also like how Eugenio always busts his tail running down to first. He seems to have a lot of fun playing the game.

How do all feel about these guys? Neither of them are gonna be close to .300 hitters over the course of the season but they're gonna hit a bunch of dingers and drive in a load of runs if they stay healthy. That's good enough for me.

Your thoughts about either or both of these guys?

Duvall was more or less a throw in on the Leake trade.

It's incredible how much better defensively Suarez has been since learning the position last year. He's clearly worked very hard and has some decent pop.

Duvall has also turned himself into a pretty good OFer. The power is obviously there. Plate disciple has been better this year, lets see if that continues. I'm a big fan of both.

They're the type of hitter that is good to have in the 5-6-7 spots in the lineup. The average won't kill you there and they've got good power. If they'd both walk a little bit more they'd be prototypes of the current late middle of the order hitters. The Reds got very good value for what they gave up for them.

Why would you trade them? They are both under team control for a long time and cheap.

I can see it. If you think Winker and Senzel are the guys for the LF & 3B positions, and you deem them ready, Suarez and Duvall become expendable.

Obviously they're not there yet, but both the young guys have much higher ceilings than either Duvall or Suarez.

Why would you trade them? They are both under team control for a long time and cheap.

I can see it. If you think Winker and Senzel are the guys for the LF & 3B positions, and you deem them ready, Suarez and Duvall become expendable.

Obviously they're not there yet, but both the young guys have much higher ceilings than either Duvall or Suarez.

I can see it down the line, but not now. When they get to arbitration salary bumps, if you are convinced Winker and/or Senzel will be at least as good and you can get good value back, then you do it. I am not convinced Winker or Senzel are ready yet so I hang onto Duvall/Suarez for now.

Plus, in the case of Duvall, move him to RF and move Schebler to backup before you trade Duvall if you want to move Winker up.

I can see it down the line, but not now. When they get to arbitration salary bumps, if you are convinced Winker and/or Senzel will be at least as good and you can get good value back, then you do it. I am not convinced Winker or Senzel are ready yet so I hang onto Duvall/Suarez for now.

Obviously Senzel isn't there yet, but Winker is, or at least very close, IMO. Of course with him, you have the option of sticking him in RF if Schebler doesn't produce which buys you some time.