Should President Trump sign an Executive Order to avoid another United tragedy?

I just finished talking to an Airport Police Officer about this situation and in short the legalities are clear as mud.

Since there are so many Airlines, so many Corporations, so many Federal Agencies, so many powerful entities with skin in the game here would it make sense for President Trump to sign a simple Executive Order that very simply outlines a Passenger Bill of Rights?

It could be real simple in a case like this, anyone asked to give up their seat automatically gets $1000 cash at a minimum. If you are delayed more than 8 hours, $2000 cash. Longer delays or outright cancellation, $5000 cash, case closed.

Thoughts?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so. Let the FAA regulatory process handle this.

I am not picking on you Getslow but the FAA has done such a fantastic job already on this known issue that I am hardly confident.

You know it will be some convoluted, ambiguous, confusing, laundry list that regular citizens won't know or understand and the Airlines will continue to abuse.

I am not picking on you Getslow but the FAA has done such a fantastic job already on this known issue that I am hardly confident.

You know it will be some convoluted, ambiguous, confusing, laundry list that regular citizens won't know or understand and the Airlines will continue to abuse.

So we're going to continue this endless parade of increasingly unchecked executive power instead of subjecting these rules to public comment? Nah, between these last two presidents I'm so sick of executive orders I could puke.

So we're going to continue this endless parade of increasingly unchecked executive power instead of subjecting these rules to public comment? Nah, between these last two presidents I'm so sick of executive orders I could puke.

Fair enough, then what do you do with "broken" Federal Agencies and/or Corporations abusing citizens?

Fair enough, then what do you do with "broken" Federal Agencies and/or Corporations abusing citizens?

The president picks the people who run these agencies. They in turn manage that bureaucracy.

Get better people. The best people.

Isn't that what we were promised?

And for the doctor at the center of this, the legal system is his recourse. He'll get a payout and one that's hopefully big enough to discourage this behavior in the future.

In the end, either the FAA is conducting the process of formulating these rules through normal legal channels and then the FAA is responsible for their enforcement, or the president signs some executive order that then has to be interpreted by the enforcement arms at the FAA... and subsequently enforced by the FAA.

In the end, either the FAA is conducting the process of formulating these rules through normal legal channels and then the FAA is responsible for their enforcement, or the president signs some executive order that then has to be interpreted by the enforcement arms at the FAA... and subsequently enforced by the FAA.

Then maybe the Attorney General can quit playing with his Legos and immediately give the FAA some legal guidance for immediate implementation until the FAA can come up with a simple, easy to understand policy that makes the Airlines responsible for shortages instead of bullying paying customers that have done nothing wrong.

Then maybe the Attorney General can quit playing with his Legos and immediately give the FAA some legal guidance for immediate implementation until the FAA can come up with a simple, easy to understand policy that makes the Airlines responsible for shortages instead of bullying paying customers that have done nothing wrong.

...and when airfares start to steadily increase everyone will be complaining.

This was a screwup to be sure, but I don't know how many new rules would be needed here. Somebody's definitely been fired for this, but it's whoever was working in booking or ticketing or boarding that allowed that plane to board before verifying that no employees needed to deadhead to Louisville for connecting flights. If all this had happened with people just sitting around in the terminal like it usually does, we wouldn't be having this conversation because no one would have been removed from the plane.

I'm curious, what should the executive order say?

This was a screwup to be sure, but I don't know how many new rules would be needed here. Somebody's definitely been fired for this, but it's whoever was working in booking or ticketing or boarding that allowed that plane to board before verifying that no employees needed to deadhead to Louisville for connecting flights. If all this had happened with people just sitting around in the terminal like it usually does, we wouldn't be having this conversation because no one would have been removed from the plane.

I'm curious, what should the executive order say?

Something real simple like I posted above until the FAA can give us an easy to understand, comprehensive policy. Here is what I posted above:

It could be real simple in a case like this, anyone asked to give up their seat automatically gets $1000 cash at a minimum. If you are delayed more than 8 hours, $2000 cash. Longer delays or outright cancellation, $5000 cash, case closed.