Bengals trade for former Jaguars DE Chris Smith

The Cincinnati Bengals have made a rare trade. With an abundance of picks in the upcoming draft, Cincinnati has acquired former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Chris Smith. In exchange, the Jaguars will receive a conditional 2018 draft pick — the pick is likely contingent on Smith making Cincinnati’s final 53-man roster.

Bengals trade for former Jaguars DE Chris Smith - Cincy Jungle

Well the last time the Bengals made a trade with the Jags it worked out pretty good. We got a guy named Reggie Nelson who hadn't looked like much at the time. Hopefully we get the same results this time.

Nelson was a 1st round pick. This guy was a 5th rounder....Not exactly the same thing.

Nelson was a 1st round pick. This guy was a 5th rounder....Not exactly the same thing.

It is considering the Bengals gave up nothing for him and the Jags obviously didn't think he was going to be good and was a bust. I think if the Jags thought at all that Nelson would have had the career he did, they would have never traded him. Especially for a CB who was the 5th CB on a team and out of the league shortly after.

That was a trade that didn't look like much that worked out well. Just like this trade currently doesn't look like much either. Except I think makes me believe the Bengals are definitely going offense in the first round.

I honestly will be surprised if this guy makes the team though.

I wonder if this trade will tip the Bengals first round draft choice away from a DE and to the next position of need.

Anyone?

I think the Bengals are definitely going offense now, unless someone falls that they didn't expect to fall.

I just hope the DL Allen from Bama is not there when the Bengals pick. With shoulder problems and also not having a true position for a 4 3 defense. I think he would be a bust for the Bengals.

I have no idea but I have to think it lessens the need at DE for the Bengals or else why make the trade.

Because there is little to no risk. He has 4 career sacks and 1 last year. If they think this shores up the DE position I disagree.

I doubt this changes their draft strategu at all.

Because there is little to no risk. He has 4 career sacks and 1 last year. If they think this shores up the DE position I disagree.

I doubt this changes their draft strategu at all.

This draft is suppose to be deep in pass rushing DEs. So I do think it shows us they may not think one will be there worth the 1st pick. Then the signing of Minter, I think shows they are not as high on Foster at 9 as some people think.

I do think it shows they will go with a player who can make an immediate impact. Which means will be on the offensive side of the ball imo.

This draft is suppose to be deep in pass rushing DEs. So I do think it shows us they may not think one will be there worth the 1st pick. Then the signing of Minter, I think shows they are not as high on Foster at 9 as some people think.

I do think it shows they will go with a player who can make an immediate impact. Which means will be on the offensive side of the ball imo.

If one isn't good enough to be drafted high thats one thing, but to change your draft strategy because you acquired a guy with 5 career sacks would be crazy imo