Steve Perry Proves He's a Better Man than Peter Cetera

Pete disappointed long-time Chicago fans like myself for refusing to appear with the band at their HOF induction ceremony. There was some talk that Perry might do the same but he showed and gave a gracious speech and thanked Arnel Pineda for singing his heart out every night and keeping those great Journey songs alive. It would have been nice to see him perform with the band but he did the next best thing. Thumbs up for "The Voice." Steve deserves credit for doing what Cetera wouldn't.

Like him or not, Cetera was a big part of Chicago for long while and he should have showed at the HOF in my opinion.

Perry's HOF speech:

"Hello, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! You sure look good to me tonight. I'm going to keep my cheat sheet here because I've got a lot to say. I'm going to start with, when I was living in Los Angeles, I was looking to get a record deal, trying my very best. It was tough to get signed at those times. And I would always go to the Starwood to see Journey perform cause these guys have the most amazing musical ability. I've never seen a band like that in my life. So every time they'd go to the Starwood Club, I had to go watch with amazement. Though their musicianship was absolutely par to none, there was one instrument that was flying about the entire city of Los Angeles. That was the magic fingers of Neal Schon's guitar! Somehow, one of my demo tapes fell into the hands of Herbie Herbert. I would not be here tonight if it was not for Herbie Herbert. Because he did not have to call me. He gets tapes all the time. But there's something about the demo tape, and he called me. And the next thing I knew, because of Herbie, I was writing music with Neal Schon. And the very first song we ever wrote together was "Patiently," you remember that? So, I absolutely must tell you, I must thank Herbie Herbert for believing in me. Thank you.

Aynsley Dunbar, Gregg Rolie, Steve Smith, Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain, Ross Valory. Are you [expletive] [expletive] me? Any singer would give his [expletive] for that [expletive]. They played so well. So, I want to thank them for all the music we've written. Thank you, Gregg for letting me live at your house to write the Infinity record. Thank you for letting me live at your house, Neal Schon. Thank you so much, Jon, for all the songs that we all have written together. Steve Smith's amazing drums. Basso profundo, Ross Valory. Alright, guys, I thank you so much for all the music we've written and recorded together. It will be forever in my heart.

I must give a complete shout out to someone who sings his heart out every night, and it's Arnel Pineda. Where are you, Arnel? Where are you?He must be backstage. To Arnel, I love you. Woooo! Hi Arnel! Thank you. I'd like to thank my longtime attorney, Lee Philips. I also would like to thank my old, high school R&B band. It was called The Sullies and it's kind of where it all started for me. I would like to thank them. Thanks to Rob Stringer and the team at Columbia Records.

The Journey road crew. The original Journey road crew. Who busted their [expletive] every night, every day. Load in, load out. Tirelessly. Day after day. Week after week. Year after year. Herbie knows that's true. We would not be here today if it wasn't for them, too. And also, I would like to send my condolences to the families of the members of Jim McCandless, Jackie Villanueva and recently, the great Benny Collins. Lastly, Fan Asylum was Journey's first fan club. Herbie and Tim McQuaid got together and said, "You're going to be our fan club; this is going to be great." That's what happened. Tim McQuaid, Lora Beard and Cyndy Poon made it all happen for us. So the fan club - Fan Asylum, was brilliant. I want to thank them.

Now, speaking of fans, speaking of fans! You're the ones who put us here! You are the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! You put us here! We would not be here had it not been for you and your tireless love and consistent devotion. You never have stopped. And from my heart, I must tell you, I have been gone a long time, I understand that. But I want you to know, you've never not been in my heart. I want you to know that. And I love each and everyone of you. Thank you so very much!"

I've heard various rumors that Steve Perry has had vocal issues and can no longer sing as he used to. Is that correct?

I've heard some of those things as well, All Tell. I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. Those vocal chords are bound to have taken a lot of punishment over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard some of those things as well, All Tell. I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. Those vocal chords are bound to have taken a lot of punishment over the years.

It happened to Steve Walsh of Kansas. He went on way too long, IMHO.

Bobby was terrific in his prime.

Musically, Toto as a band was terrific, and kind of underrated.

I get that Kimble is now nearly 70, and because of his style, it was unlikely that he could still be as good as he was 30 years after his prime. But his is one of the biggest declines I've ever heard, and I'm surprised he's still out there performing.

At your own risk, take a look at what he sounds like now.

Musically, Toto as a band was terrific, and kind of underrated.

I get that Kimble is now nearly 70, and because of his style, it was unlikely that he could still be as good as he was 30 years after his prime. But his is one of the biggest declines I've ever heard, and I'm surprised he's still out there performing.

At your own risk, take a look at what he sounds like now.

TOTO was one of my top five bands of all-time. And as I've stated on here many times, definitely one of the most underrated. Lukather is an incredible guitarist. I agree with Grace Slick, there's something really sad about an aging, way past their prime, rocker. Bobby, please hang it up. I want to remember you thirty years ago.

Edited by Science Friction