NKU Student Faked Cancer?

Police investigating after NKU student accused of faking cancer - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

(FOX19) -

Classmates and sorority sisters rallied around a former Northern Kentucky student in her battle against stage 3 gastrointestinal cancer, but police now believe she never had cancer.

Events were being promoted for 20-year-old Kelly Schmahl, who said she was very ill.

Kelly's Klassic was put together to help raise money for medical bills.

To promote the event Schmahl wrote, "I have never been one to ask for much, especially when it comes to money and material things, but when I was diagnosed last September, financial support from those around me has become pivotal in my battle".

According to an affidavit search warrant, police allege she fooled people out of thousands of dollars. The warrant reads Schmahl deceived her roommate and caregiver into believing she had cancer.

Police said this went on from June of 2016 through March 2017.

The warrant said her caregiver and others provided her with at least $7,500 dollars to help with her illness.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard quite a bit about this young lady through the Fraternity at NKU that I help advise. They were co-sponsoring Kelly's Klassic, a kickball tournament to help raise funds for her. The Fraternity was also having a Golf Outing next month to raise funds for her. I believe other organizations on campus were doing the same.

What a scumbag.

I know that our Fraternity's current President was all-in on supporting her, as I'm sure others were too. He even spoke at our Annual Alumni Dinner about her to help raise awareness for her cancer and gain support for these fundraising events.

I'm sure other Fraternity's and Student Organizations on campus were doing the same. She sure duped a lot of people.

Looks like they are donating the money from the events to Chicks for Chucks instead, which is a good decision.

I'd still call it Kelly's Klassic but support her by donating to an organization that deals with mental illness. But then I'm sure the Dean of Students wouldn't be thrilled with that lol.

I'm not sure I buy that her parents were duped as well....How long was this going on? You never once went with her to a doctor's appointment? Took her to a chemo treatment?

I asked that exact same question this morning. Apparently a little while back before all this came about she legally disassociated from her parents. Whatever that legal term is that is escaping me.

Yeah maybe. The guy who told me wasn't sure the legal term either. I asked the exact same question too. You're telling me that you didn't go with your daughter once to the doctor? Seems she might have really been playing everyone.

Not sure there is a legal term for a college aged student. I think emancipated only applies to children under 18. Kids/parents aren't legally obligated to anything once the child hits adult age. Maybe the word your looking for is "estranged".

The Golf Outing I mentioned, apparently has 72 foursomes signed up. For anyone that knows about golf outings, that's a crap ton.

Are there threecourses at that golf club? How does that even work? I guess you could get it done with two, shotgun start with two groups on each tee but holy cow.

Are there threecourses at that golf club? How does that even work? I guess you could get it done with two, shotgun start with two groups on each tee but holy cow.

You could break it into a morning and afternoon outing, or do it over two days as well. But I agree, that's a ton of foursomes. I've never even seen an outing with 36 foursomes. Heck, most have just barely over 18.