Golf (LPGA Major) screws up again

Two years ago, this would have been a DQ. Two years from now, it will be a 2-shot penalty for moving the ball but not the additional 2 shots due to "further review" after signing an incorrect scorecard.

Golf is moving in the right direction. Just not fast enough.

This is ridiculous, people from home shouldn't be allowed to call penalties on players. If they can do that for golf then we should be able to go back and call fouls that weren't called in the UK/UNC game.

In that scenario I would have had my phone on speed dial that Sunday. :lol2:

They need to put a limit in when a penalty can be assessed. My suggestion would be that one can not be assessed once the player completes the following hole or if the penalty occurred in the 18th then they have up until the scorecard is signed to inform the player of a penalty.

These tourneys have officials with each group walking the course with them. They should be the ones or the players themselves to call for penalties. Not someone watching on tv.

I grew up golfing, and I will say it has a lot of stupid rules, and there are a lot of stupid ways of enforcing them. So, it appeared she did pick up the ball and move it to a different place in front of her coin. I could guess it was possibly nerves, or she could have been moving out of a spike mark, thus improving her lie. So what! Golf is a hard enough sport without throwing in luck. Personal experience...very demoralizing to hit a great tee shot down the fairway only to find my ball in a practically unplayable divot. Demoralizing to hit a shot on the green only to find damage of some sort between your ball and otherwise a makeable putt. If one is talking the difference in a 109 and a 110 no big deal, but playing for a few bucks and the difference in a couple of strokes to keep one around par, a bigger deal.

So many things wrong with this...I don't know where to start. Stupid, stupid, stupid. It was bad/stupid enough when you tell someone about a penalty a few holes later, but to wait not only until the next day, but when that day's round is 2/3 over?!?!? Unbelievable.

I grew up golfing, and I will say it has a lot of stupid rules, and there are a lot of stupid ways of enforcing them. So, it appeared she did pick up the ball and move it to a different place in front of her coin. I could guess it was possibly nerves, or she could have been moving out of a spike mark, thus improving her lie. So what! Golf is a hard enough sport without throwing in luck. Personal experience...very demoralizing to hit a great tee shot down the fairway only to find my ball in a practically unplayable divot. Demoralizing to hit a shot on the green only to find damage of some sort between your ball and otherwise a makeable putt. If one is talking the difference in a 109 and a 110 no big deal, but playing for a few bucks and the difference in a couple of strokes to keep one around par, a bigger deal.

Good video here. Seems she was aligning something on the ball to be parallel with the putter. Putt looks to be less than 2 ft.

Pros Outraged After Lexi Thompson is Assessed Penalty Thanks to a Viewer Tip | The Big Lead

Before and after picture:

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/lexi-thompson-assessed-ridiculous-penalty-at-ana-inspiration1.jpg

I was watching live and was hoping the player who eventually beat her in the playoff would walk to the tee on the first playoff hole and shake Lexi's hand and say "you won" and concede before the playoff. While she would have relinquished her chance to win a major (she has one I think), she would have been the hero of every pro golfer FOREVER.