Beechwood 4 East Central (IN) 3

katbird

Logan Castleman hits a walk off homerun in the bottom of the 7th with a man on to win the game. Castleman was also robbed of a homerun in the first inning when the right fielder ran through the temporary fencing to catch the ball. So if the kid catches the ball on the other side of the fence and falls out of play is that an out or a homerun?

in your scenario, I believe if he has control of the ball and goes over, or through it is a catch.

If he catches the ball before crashing through or going over the fence then it's a catch and an out. If he ends up going out of play (as it sounds like he did here) each runner on base would move up one base. Same ruling had he been running towards foul territory , made the catch, and his momentum took him out of play. Catch and carry rule.

If he catches the ball before crashing through or going over the fence then it's a catch and an out. If he ends up going out of play (as it sounds like he did here) each runner on base would move up one base. Same ruling had he been running towards foul territory , made the catch, and his momentum took him out of play. Catch and carry rule.

What if he ran through the fence first and then caught the ball?

I had a pretty good angle on this play. The player caught the ball and took 1 maybe 2 steps before hitting the fence. It was the momentum that carried him into the fence. The ball would have been short or hit the bottom of the fence.

Logan Castleman hits a walk off homerun in the bottom of the 7th with a man on to win the game. Castleman was also robbed of a homerun in the first inning when the right fielder ran through the temporary fencing to catch the ball. So if the kid catches the ball on the other side of the fence and falls out of play is that an out or a homerun?

Thanks for the information and I love seeing Kentucky Teams beating quality out of state competition.

Way to Represent Kentucky Beechwood!

Should be a home run - I'm assuming he was no longer in/established in the field of play when he caught the ball.

Fielder out of play = HR.

You bring up something interesting. When he knocked the fence over he landed on the flatend fence. Would you consider him out of play?