WKY Power Rankings - Offseason Discussion

Purple88

With the completion of today's Final Winter Workouts, Teams move into Spring Break with surf, sand and girls on their minds or at least staying out of the weight room for awhile!!!

And with that Spring workouts and practice are on the horizon!

2016 was a terrific year for many teams in the west and I think 2017 will be as well, but before we get there, let's look back at the final 2016 Power Rankings (issued on October 30, 2016) and see where we stood at that time:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/bluegrasspreps-final-western-337849.html

1. Bowling Green 5A (10-0)

2. Mayfield 2A (10-0)

3. Franklin Simpson 4A (10-0)

4. Greenwood 5A (8-2)

5. South Warren 4A (8-2)

6. Owensboro Catholic (8-2)

7. McCracken County 6A (7-3)

8. Owensboro (8-2)

9. Christian County 5A (8-2)

10. Hopkinsville 4A (9-1)

Well, what do you think? As you'll note, only McCracken County had 3 regular season losses on that list, with the rest really good records.

WKY Team Snapshots:

Bowling Green - Just keep doing their thing. One of the best teams they have ever had will graduate this May. Many guys that barely saw the field last year will now get their shot.

Mayfield - The mighty Cardinals traveled to Louisville and lost a tough ball game to the eventual 2A Champions. No shame there. Lose a Ton from a powerful team, but usually have plenty in the cubbard to restock the shelves.

Franklin Simpson - Breakout season for the Wildcats! I know they fell victim to a Very strong Johnson Central squad in the State Championship game, but ALOT to like about last season. Lose many key guys off that squad. Who will step up now? I know about Saul Brady, but who else.

Greenwood - The Gators continue to improve. Lost a tough road playoff game at always tough Rash Stadium in Owensboro. No shame there. QB Jackson Adams will be a Senior. Young man is a real player, but he will need help. Could the Gators make history and beat BG this season? We'll see.

South Warren - The Spartans played their hearts out and lost a good game down in Franklin. The heart and soul of that squad that won the championship 2 years ago graduates this May. Also of note, the Spartans will step up to 5A this season and are placed in the same district with Greenwood and BG. Interesting games indeed...

Owensboro Catholic - Team Little Engine That Could will be back for a Strong Run in 2017. 2016 saw the Aces blossom before our eyes winning a Tough game vs cross-town rival Owensboro and coming up just short against the vaunted Mayfield Cardinals. The QB/RB combo of Warren and Williams are as good as any in the state. Look out!

McCracken County - Team Which Way Is Up seems to continue to go through instability. HOWEVER, I LOVE the hiring of Coach Marc Clark (formerly at Hopkinsville). For the time of things, I feel this is a home run hire for the Mustangs. You lose a ton off a fine team. Who will fill their shoes?

Owensboro - Red Devils just continue to adapt and move forward. Solid season last year. No shame in losing to that BG team twice. But you lose some absolute studs (RB - Landon Board to name just 1 did not get the praise he deserved IMO). You have terrific younger classes (this upcoming Frosh and Soph classes are dynamite). Look out here too!

Christian County - At #9 - Come on Purple88 get in the game!!! Fantastic, talented, athletic, tough squad that gave BG their toughest game in the playoffs. Many solid athlete, including special athlete Keyron Catlett, will graduate. But many are back as well including a 4 year starter at QB Kolbi Langhi. Look out!!!

Hopkinsville - Lost an absolute heartbreaker to the South Warren Spartans in the playoffs to end a fine season. Coach Marc Clark has moved on to McCracken County. Who will replace him. Athletes are usually coming out the windows at HHS, but you need a leader of the band to fine tune this squad and take them farther than last season.

Teams Outside the Top 10 Worth Considering:

Caldwell County, Graves County, Adair County, Glasgow, Calloway County, Paducah Tilghman, Russellville, Butler County, Muhlenburg County, Allen County-Scottsville

So Who Do You Expect To Be Charging to the top of the Polls this Season?

Who are the Top Players (in your opinion) in the West?

What are the keys to getting your squad to the carpet at WKU this December?

What say you?

Great write up!

I like my 5A Christian County Colonels to make the charge at BG this season. What did they lose? 3 starters on Defense (2 defensive lineman and 1corner) 2Wr's 2 Olineman 1 RB. Problem with this is two of these guys signed with Purdue. The colonels have got some talented Juniors to replace the lost on Defense, along with ball hawking 6'4 Senior Free Saftey Cory Trice, I expect this unit to shut down opponents. Offensively, comes the hard task of replacing Keyron Catlett. The Cupboard is far from bare, as the 6 returning starters are extremely good along with 4yr starter at QB Kolbi Langhi and the junior backups got plenty of game action. For this team to take the next step it has to improve its mental resolve and toughness. This team is just as talented as any team in the state, now they have to start believing it and get over the Owensboro hump then the Purple Sun Set needs to turn into a Colonel Sun Rise

Bowling Green! Well, they are BOWLING GREEN. They will win 5A again.

Greenwood will be good this year. Adam's will go out strong but they will finish 2nd in BG.

FS lost some good lineman and a great athlete in Josiah Robey, but could be better on the defense side of the ball with what they have coming back. FS will miss Hunter Janes more than anybody on the offensive side. If they can get someone to catch the ball like he did they will be better on the offensive side. They say that Brady is pushing 190lbs. now, If that is the case he will be a beast having size to go with his speed. I think FS will have a very successful season with it ending in BG again.

Hopkinsville will be extremely talented, but getting a new coach and probably a whole new system will negatively affect their season. IMO. Great work 88, as usual.

Christian County and Owensboro both ranked WAY TOO LOW!

Agreed...Christian would running clock several of the teams above them. I would say they'd beat all but BG.

I think these are 2016 rankings.

Agree they are too low, but as Snake pointed out they were 2016 rankings. AND they were end of the regular season 2016 rankings. A couple other points of clarification:

1. Christian County lost a tough double OT home game to Owensboro the last day of September. That loss dropped them in the polls. Teams above them did not lose and Christian Countys remaining schedule didn't have any games that would cause them to jump teams above them. :idunno:

2. Owensboro lost 2 earlier games, but the big loss to BG put them out of the Top 10. They had climbed significantly since that loss, but didn't play anyone on murder's row coming down the stretch to jump over everyone. They did get it done in the Playoffs AFTER these polls were done.

I do think Christian County was likely the second best squad on this list at the end of the season. They lose quite a bit in 2017, but will return another solid team and do not play BG during the regular season. Very interesting....

What is your take on this?

I'll just say this for what it may mean for the upcoming season.. Up front is where Christian has lost the battle against BG.. BG has been bigger, stronger than County period. This is first time I've looked in the weight room at Christian and see size and depth in a long time. I don't mind the rankings got get it done on the field first then climb that ladder..

I'll just say this for what it may mean for the upcoming season.. Up front is where Christian has lost the battle against BG.. BG has been bigger, stronger than County period. This is first time I've looked in the weight room at Christian and see size and depth in a long time. I don't mind the rankings got get it done on the field first then climb that ladder..

I will go one step further than this:

2016 - If not for BG, I think Christian County wins the 5A State Championship last season.

2017 - WAY EARLY Predition: When Christian County and BG meet in mid- to late November THIS year, the winner has the inside track to the State Championship. Bold, I know...

Great Stuff Purple88! I think these BG/Christian matchups are great. I wonder if Owensboro will regroup, commit to the run and make it interesting. Also love the Mayfield/Owensboro Cath matchups. What are your thoughts there?

Great Stuff Purple88! I think these BG/Christian matchups are great. I wonder if Owensboro will regroup, commit to the run and make it interesting. Also love the Mayfield/Owensboro Cath matchups. What are your thoughts there?

Rosco,

I do think the BG/Christian matchup right now is one of the top matchups in the West for sure! I'm looking forward to another battle in the playoffs if both teams can make that. I think they can, but you sprinkle caveat language around just to play it safe. :lol2:

Owensboro will always play good, tough, sound football. I really like Coach Fallin. He correctly IMO revamped their whole offense mid-season last year and it paid off for them.

Something has me leaning Christian County in their district this year, BUT that game at Rash Stadium with the district likely on the line may make me "sacrifice" for a trip to Old Hickory Barbeque and take this game in! I think they will be good, but they lose alot just like everyone else. Will they not pass at all like last year? To let good defenses and defensive coachs load the box every play is asking alot from your line to make it happen every play IMO.

Mayfield and OCath sets up to be a outright classic this season! I think unlike recent seasons, I would give OCath the advantage in skill personnel with the young studs they have coming back, BUT that game would be in Mayfield and to think the Cardinals wouldn't be ready for that game is an understatement. Sets up to be a terrific year for all for sure!!!

I think Greenwood is going to be in future conversations with BG, CC and Oboro, maybe even SW on occasion.

MHS,

You have a right to be high on Greenwood as the Gators should be near their peak this season with outstanding QB Jackson Adams at the helm for his final year.

As you recall, Greenwood beat South Warren for the first time ever last year. But this year "It's Personal" as the Spartans will move up into the same district with Greenwood and BG. Who will take the lead in the district race this year? We shall see. Could Greenwood exercise their Purple Demons and get a win over their nearby district foes the Purples? I honestly don't look for that, but then I didn't look for BG to lose to Graves County some time ago, so what do I know. But, unlike the last 2 seasons, I really think Greenwood has a shot to beat the District 1 reps and make it back to BG for a playoff rematch.

Saul Brady is one the most underrated players around. The senior to be has had back to back seasons of putting together 2,000 all-purpose yard seasons. He has done this while playing every snap on defense as well. Besides Saul Brady I really like our Fullbacks - Carlos McKinney returns at FB and will be a junior and has gotten better with every game he has played. Currently Carlos looks really good in the weight room and is weighing right at 220. He has added about 15 pounds of muscle.The second FB James Baker is a tremendous athlete that returns as a starter on defense but can really be explosive on the offensive side. Senior to be Cade Harvey has led our team the last two years in tackles but will also be a FB and could help us at TE as well. I also look for big things from Junior to be running back Tre' Bass. He has added some really good muscle to his quickness. There are two strong candidates for QB in Rylan Thomas and Conner Rogers. If 6'5 receiver Jevon Covington develops consistency in his game he will be a key at WR. The offensive line should be very talented but will be 'green'. By the time we hit district play they will have faced some very good teams like E-town, South Warren, Greenwood and Glasgow to name a few. With 7 starters returning on defense we could develop into a pretty good defense again this year. There are many other things I could post but I'll leave it at that. Very tough preseason will force us to step up and improve. As always the injury bug will have something to say about how well we develop. Lot's of work to put in between now and then.