NKY Power Ranking - Offseason Discussion

With spring practices all getting started within the next 2 weeks or so, and less than 5 months until opening kickoff for the 2017 football season, I thought we could take a look back at my final regular season power rankings from the 2016.

How do you think these final power rankings compare to the way they pre-season power rankings should look come 2017?

Will there be any big moves up or down by any of the teams on the list?

What players do you see being mentioned in 2017 when it comes to Northern Kentucky players of the week?

This is also anybody's chance to tell me "I told you so" in regards to the way I ranked the teams and the way the playoffs played out.

Final NKY Power Rankings 11-03-16 - Sponsored by NKY Family & Cosmetic Dentistry

1) Ryle (6A)

2) Simon Kenton (6A)

3) Covington Catholic (5A)

4) Conner (6A)

5) Cooper (6A)

6) Beechwood (1A)

7) Dixie Heights (5A)

8) Newport Catholic (2A)

9) Highlands (5A)

10) Holy Cross (2A)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Beechwood will probably be a little higher on the list next year as they have most of their team returning, I believe. I think they will be ahead of Conner and Cooper at the start of the year. Cooper loses a decent amount, and I believe Conner does as well. I am guessing Highlands will be a little higher on the list as well. My guess:

1.) Ryle

2.) SK

3.) CovCath

4.) Beechwood

5.) Highlands

6.) Conner

7.) Cooper

8.) Campbell County

9.) Dixie

10.) NewCath

Hard to argue Highlands in the Top 10...they were abysmal last year and don't really return anything that would make you go, "Oh, they're gonna get better!"

Amazing to say that, but the truth is, that place is in real trouble for awhile.

Hard to argue Highlands in the Top 10...they were abysmal last year and don't really return anything that would make you go, "Oh, they're gonna get better!"

Amazing to say that, but the truth is, that place is in real trouble for awhile.

Noted! Will be interested to review this comment at the end of the season and see if you still feel the same way.

That's easy. SK is the best team every year no matter what actually happens

For what it's worth Ff74 generally does have some good insight into the program at SK...and he was pretty forthright in recognizing a good performance by Ryle and in mentioning shortcomings by SK in Ryle's win over SK during the regular season.

Remember, these rankings were posted at the end of the regular season and pre-playoffs. I figured since he disagreed with or disliked something from the previous discussion in this thread, I'd go ahead and invite him to give us his take.

Just in the mood to hand out some dislikes?

For what it's worth Ff74 generally does have some good insight into the program at SK...and he was pretty forthright in recognizing a good performance by Ryle and in mentioning shortcomings by SK in Ryle's win over SK during the regular season.

Remember, these rankings were posted at the end of the regular season and pre-playoffs. I figured since he disagreed with or disliked something from the previous discussion in this thread, I'd go ahead and invite him to give us his take.

Well, I'd buy in to that if my comment had anything to do with SK, but it didn't.

I guess if SK isn't the center of attention in the football forum we'll all get dislikes.

SK, like Highlands, need drastic improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I thought Conner showed considerable improvement last year and could be ready to challenge. Ryle is losing a D1 QB, and Cooper a D1 receiver. Hard to replace that in one year. Only BW will challenge for a title.

Noted! Will be interested to review this comment at the end of the season and see if you still feel the same way.

I can get behind this...personally, I think they'll be very similar to last year with the exception that Cov. Cath won't let them score 26 this year and may score 100.

I say this because of what I have always said about Highlands...they're terrible on Defense...Now though, in addition to this, they can't score.