Yard Sales!

THE SHERIFF

About time yard sale season started up. One of my favorite things to do. Often supplements my pension nicely.

I can't wait. I've been a regular yard saler for 30 years! It's becoming quite competitive in our area. 10 years ago you could stay out and hunt until 10AM. Now I hardly find anything past 8:30!

I can't wait. I've been a regular yard saler for 30 years! It's becoming quite competitive in our area. 10 years ago you could stay out and hunt until 10AM. Now I hardly find anything past 8:30!

Yeah, sucks big time to work on Fridays when everybody else it hitting them early.

This could probably go in the rants forum, but figured I'd stick it here.

I had been looking for some woodworking tools, and found an ad for a garage sale that said they had some. So, after school my son and I headed up to it. (Figured getting in at the end of the first day would be better than the beginning of the second day.)

Ended up meeting a kindly old gentleman (an 88 year old named Emmitt) who was having to drastically downsize his possessions as he and his wife were moving into a condo. Apparently the house had already been sold to the neighbor and they've got 3 weeks to get everything out. He had two other neighbors helping him with the sale. While they were younger than he was, they were easily 70.

There were 4 or 5 other people there in this small two-car garage when we arrived. Some of the items had prices marked, while others didn't. But, it was obvious that they were wheeling and dealing to move stuff out.

Now I'm not against getting a bargain, but there was one guy there that rubbed me the wrong way by the time it was all said and done. There were two storage shelves against the wall that had a lot of "smalls" (to borrow a Frank and Mike term). Lots of nuts, bolts, oil cans, etc. He asked them about a an item, and the lady said "How about 20 dollars for everything?" He said sure. A couple of minutes later he was over behind me asking about this bundled package. It was tied up, but you could see the top. I looked over at it, and could tell that it was windchimes. I said as such, as Emmitt came over. He took a quick glance and said "I think you're right." The other guy asked how much, and Emmitt said 25. The guy shook his head and came back with 20. Now, these were not cheap windchimes. I almost butted in and said I'd take them for 25, but I didn't. Emmitt finally agreed, and the guy hauled them off to put with the rest of his stash that he had stockpiled.

I told Emmitt that he probably could've gotten 2 to 3 times that amount, that those chimes probably went for over two or three hundred if new. He nodded, and agreed. At that moment I felt sorry for him. And was starting to get ticked off at this other guy.

As I made my way over the other side of the garage, I got to the area where the guy bought the whole 2 shelving units. But, what he did was cherry pick through everything and took just what he wanted. Now normally it'd be no big deal. But, I know the guy heard the same story that I did about how everything needed to go. And rather than be bothered with having to trash what he didn't want himself...he left it to an 88 year old to dispose of.

Come on people, have some human decency. It's not all about the art of the deal. :irked:

The vast majority of folks that I run into at yard sales are decent people. Unfortunately more and more often I see shoppers who are looking for the lowest price they can get, and are not the least bit ashamed to come off as weasels to save a dime.

Yard sales can be extremely profitable and many people are bargain hunting to supplement their incomes. Some carry it to a whole different level. Competition can bring out the worst in some.